PDA

View Full Version : silica based sand

doox00
02/28/2006, 05:47 PM
Hey there, I am new to marine tanks and still getting all my stuffs together. I plan to come to next mondays meeting as well with my girlfriend.

I would like some others opinions on substrate.. here is my story from today..

I have been on a mission to find some southdown/old castle/yardright good type of sand. I called all over, and most places do not have play sand in yet. I did find a home depot though about 30 minutes from here that had durascape white play sand. After reading online about some peoples vinegar test success with this sand I decided to go and get a few bags, it says on the package something old castle as well. it was last years stock, had 7 bags left, they were wet and half frozen, I bought 4 bags at 3.48 a bag. Got it home and I did the vinegar test and no fizzles. I am using white distilled vinegar, dilluted to 5 percent acidity, assuming this is the right stuff...

So my question is, in a fowlr tank is it safe to use this sand? You find some people saying its okay to use silica and alot of people saying no.

If its certaintly not safe and valid reasons why its not I will return this stuff and keep hunting

thanks again,
Shawn

Gerde
03/02/2006, 03:48 PM
Great to see you are interesting in coming to our meeting. Unfortunately this meeting won't be completely like a normal one because we are meeting in a different place. See grmas.org for details on location. Also there will not be an auction (which we usually do every month) in anticipation of the frag swap we are having this month. Regardless, please come and check us out.

Silica sand will cause brown diatom problems in your tank from what I've read. A calcium based sand is the way to go. If you were not getting any fizzing or bubbles from your test (I usually use lemon juice and it fizzes) then you probably don't have the right kind. Don't start off on the wrong foot if you don't have to. Even if you have to pay more to the LFS for CaribSea or whatever, it would be better for your tank in the long run. It seems Home Depot has pulled most of the Southdown sand and the new stock seems to be silica based.

doox00
03/02/2006, 03:52 PM
I got many responses saying silica sand is in fact just fine, that the whole do not use silica based sand is a very bad myth, now I obviously have no idea one way or another but this article makes me believe it is in fact ok, comments?

http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm

tanglovers
03/02/2006, 05:35 PM
I have never used silica sand in any of our tanks. We have used Southdown (back when you could locate it). We now use crushed coral in both of our tanks.

I do though still have a small amount of southdown that I can do a vinegar and lemon juice test and post what I find - whether it fizzes or not. Maybe this will help.

doox00
03/02/2006, 06:32 PM
southdown I guess (or any aragonite sand) will fizzle with vinegar from what everyone says. I would prefer to use southdown than silica based sand. It will cost nearly 200 dollars to get 150+ pounds of aragonite from the pet store, thats a little much to me for sand. Think I will risk it and try the silica, according to what I have read it should be ok. Unless someone has 150 pounds of southdown they want to sell me lol

tanglovers
03/02/2006, 09:42 PM
I know there is a thread on Michigan Reefers about people using black sand in their tanks. I do not know if the black sand is silica based or not. Says right in the first post it is not argonite based, I included the link below.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25209

Personally I think if you have done the research go for it. If it were not for these forums most the equipment we have on our tank we would not be using since it is common in Europe and the UK.

tanglovers
03/02/2006, 09:44 PM
One more thing, Kirbster is Kirby from Preuss Pets, they have always given us great information and are typically up on the current treads in the hobby.

reefmat
03/08/2006, 07:44 AM
Shawn, I have 8 50# bags of southdown Tropical Play Sand (non silica based sand) I will sell you for $10 a bag. Post me if your interested and how many you would like. I live in Holland.

reefmat
03/08/2006, 08:09 AM
I laso have a ASM G-2 protien skimmer and an Aqua FX RO/DI 5 stage w/chloramine blaster 100gpd unit for sale if your interested. They were never used so they're like brand new.

doox00
03/08/2006, 08:20 AM
reefmat, I will take 4 bags!

My gf and I were unable to get a baby sitter for mondays meeting, but I am going to be at the next even if I have to go alone! :)

doox00
03/08/2006, 08:50 AM
I just put that silica sand in my tank monday also, how hard will it be to remove with it full of water? nothing else in there but sand and water atm. just scoop it out?

tanglovers
03/08/2006, 08:09 PM
Doox -

I would say siphon it out, you'll loose some water but think it will be easier then scooping. Also depends on the grain size of the sand, the finer the better for siphoning.

Reefmat - are you not setting up you tank? Have not seen you at the meetings lately. How about an update.

doox00
03/08/2006, 10:02 PM
I went ahead and completely drained my tank tonight, the water was grey looking anywayz. Plus I did not want to put southdown in with it full of water, that stuff is fine enough as it is.

reefmat
03/09/2006, 06:46 AM
when my dog got sick that sucked all my money away for the tank change over and with four young kids i really didn't have the time to devote it that i needed. i still check the web site to keep the dream alive until the time is right.

Gerde
03/09/2006, 07:09 AM
Reefmat- your email bounced off of our club distribution list, please PM me your new one.