PDA

View Full Version : Suggest new names for us

jfloydr
02/28/2006, 07:42 PM
We are trying to get one forum for Roanoke and NRV. Nominate your names here then we can start a new thread and vote on them.
I nominate Virginia Reefers Society.

ade
02/28/2006, 07:43 PM
Virginia Valley Reef Club.
Ade

jfloydr
02/28/2006, 07:44 PM
I PMed the mods and asked to shut Roanoke down and transfer our threads to NRV. Now we just need to pick a new name. I agree with Chris. Virginia will make it easier to find us.

Steve Seymour
02/28/2006, 10:13 PM
Southwest Virginia Reef Club (SVRC). But any name is fine, as long as were all reefing. :D

reefdadx2
03/01/2006, 12:01 AM
I also like Southwest Virginia Reef Club. This explains where we all live. Michael R :D

reefdadx2
03/01/2006, 12:03 AM
I will be there whatever the name is. Michael R :D

reefdadx2
03/01/2006, 12:25 AM
Jeff, not sure who in the New River Valley Reef Club you spoke with about changing their name but they may not choose to change it. Sure they won't mind us posting there we already do. I don't mind if we have a name change or not. Again, I will be there whatever the name is. Michael R :D

dooleyb
03/01/2006, 05:43 AM
If we are changing the name, I vote for Southwest Virginia Reef Club.

HOC
03/01/2006, 06:44 AM
If you look here

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80

There isn't a club in VA that starts with the states name. You have to search through the long list of clubs to find one in VA. I think If we start it with our states name we will get more people visiting the clubs board. That being said I still like Virginia Reef Society, Virginia Valley Reef Club, or combine the two Virginia Valley Reef Society. A society is just a group of people that have the same interests. It doesn't mean you are all organized and fancy like.

jfloydr
03/01/2006, 06:52 AM
I agree with chris at least put VA first. Some have the state then the club name like:
Virginia - Southwest Virginia Reef Club
That would be easy to find and it gives us an area designation.

jfloydr
03/01/2006, 07:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6853669#post6853669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefdadx2
Jeff, not sure who in the New River Valley Reef Club you spoke with about changing their name but they may not choose to change it. Sure they won't mind us posting there we already do. I don't mind if we have a name change or not. Again, I will be there whatever the name is. Michael R :D

I was just going by the votes to merge. I figured a name change would have to come because neither name represents us all. If you guys dont want this just post your thoughts here.

Steve Seymour
03/01/2006, 08:25 AM
Thats a good question, Which people in the NRV actually started and named the forum, Or was it voted/polled to form NRV. Again good question Reefdadx2, never gave it one thought (sorry).
I Still like Southwest Virginia Reef Club, plenty of people will find our board with no problem, but thats my thought, Ill be at the meets if our name was Poof Reefers. :D

jfloydr
03/01/2006, 08:38 AM
I'm going to remove myself from this. I dont want to seem like I'm trying to take over, just trying to make things easier. I'll just wait for you guys to make a decision. If anyone doesnt want any part of this PLEASE POST. If you just look but dont post we dont know who wants this. I just figured on the vote thread we had 300 views and only 6 no votes (71% yes) it sounded ok. If you havent voted please do so. That way we have everyone opinion.
Like I said earlier, this doesnt mean we have to get all organized and official. It seems we would have more traffic on here if we just merged the forums and had a name where newbies could find us.

surfnvb7
03/01/2006, 09:11 AM
Virginia - Southwest Virginia Reef Club :thumbsup:

i agree with having the "virginia" in the name first. i think thats a must.

or... "Virginia - Southwestern Commonwealth Reef Club" ...just sounds funny with "Virginia" in there twice.

doesn't matter to me though, i'll still be calling it NRV reef club out of habit for a long time most likely.

hokiefish
03/01/2006, 09:59 AM
Not to sound egocentric but how about-

IRS

Ians Reef Society

I like virginia too.

Ian "Is for lovers" Auckland

manderx
03/01/2006, 10:09 AM
we'll talk about renaming our club at the upcoming meeting. any NRV renaming should probably be decided on by NRV club members, not an invading army :).

we're just a small part of VA, it would be too pretentious to claim all of virginia as our clubname i think so if we do decide to rename, i'd go for SouthWest Virginia, with the recommendation to the admins to rename the listing on *all* the clubs to add the state abbrev first to make it easier for people to find nearby clubs. so our name would be SWVA but it would list as "VA- SWVA ....". dunno if they'll go for it, but i think it'll go a long way to organizing that messy list.

jfloydr
03/01/2006, 10:14 AM
My bad, I'll keep this in Roanoke forums. If we decide to change our name to a bigger area you guys are more than welcome to join us. I like SW VA Reef Club also. Sorry guys, just trying to help.

reefdadx2
03/01/2006, 10:21 AM
Ians Reef Society is great as long as it is not IRS and Ian starts collecting taxes from us. :D How about Virginia Ian Reef Society. :D Salem Reef Club? :D Michael R

MERTZ18
03/01/2006, 11:33 AM
im for the name change. i like Virginia - Southwest Virginia Reef Club

jfloydr
03/01/2006, 11:40 AM
Vote here if you want to
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=789362

NANOFOOL
03/01/2006, 07:40 PM
i vote for svrc, also we might want to think about a name with AT ( appalachian trail) since were both right on the trail

ade
03/01/2006, 09:06 PM
It's funny nobody cares but then we seem to get defensive or sarcastic. The vote was made and then it just went on as if nothing had happened. IMO I also think that there should be a large VA forum. Being as people in the Roanoke area don't want anything to do in there own area. I also vote that we should shut down or trasfer the post onto a new name. Let NRVRC stay the same, they have found a way to help and come togeather as a club.

Hokiejoe
03/02/2006, 10:03 AM
Not to toss a wrench in to the equation but I travel all over the country and when I tell people Blacksburg is in Southwest Virginia they always think I am talking about south of West Virginia. Then when introduced to other people I am the guy from West Virginia. I know that might not be a big deal but do we even want to entertain that thought.

manderx
03/02/2006, 10:30 AM
then 'southwestern va'?

dooleyb
03/02/2006, 12:41 PM
There's Virginia, Southwest Virginia and West Virginia......3 states

Steve Seymour
03/02/2006, 02:53 PM
I think discussing it at the next meet is the greatest idea so far. Does anybody know who was one of the (founders) of the NRVRC? Was just wondering, I consider myself still as a newcomer, So Im nuetral, but I hope everyone posts there opinion. Happy Reefing!

jocoxVT
03/02/2006, 03:36 PM
From my knowledge NRVRC was started by Matt from what I know or at least think is right he started by putting flyers up in ZQ

reefdadx2
03/02/2006, 06:11 PM
Joe, I think we should all call you the guy from West Virginia. Oh and no, I don't want to hear what you think I should be called. Let me try it out. Guy from west Virginia, I hear your tank is doing great. :D Michael R

kysmith
03/16/2006, 11:27 AM
I say Purple Cobras