PDA

View Full Version : Sharks and Rays

AngelReefer
02/28/2006, 08:24 PM
Ok I have heard some people having sharks and rays with large angels and the angels don't pick at them while others have picked at the sharks and rays. Is this more likley to happen with certain angels? I know the Passer angel can be pretty mean but in the wild I read that they eat stuff off sharks so maybe they would be ok with them?Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

TTU_Reefer
03/01/2006, 02:10 AM
IMO and from tanks i have seen i would keep angels out of a shark tank. the Passer yes in the wild but if you have ever tried pairing a goby and shrimp its 50/50. Honestly yeasome would not nip the shark but its not worth the risk. Best of luck!

Pilot Fish
03/01/2006, 09:20 AM
Its all a matter of luck when you add different animals together. You can stock 2 identical tanks and one could have nothing but fighting and the other be just fine.

AngelReefer
03/01/2006, 01:40 PM
Ok thanks,
I was thinking it was just the luck of the draw. I proabley wouldn't try anything like that but just out of curiousity would any specific angels have a slimmer chance of nipping at sharks?

trikais_sam
03/03/2006, 02:41 AM
As someone that maintained a nurse shark as well as a yellow sting ray within the same tank in my store. They were rescued from a customer. The nurse shark came in first and she was about 15 ". She was being held captive in a 90 gallon aquarium. The stingray came about 2 weeks later. Finding them a suitable temporary home was not easy. anyway there were no other fish kept with them. The damsels that had been used during the set up of the tank became meals. I wouldn't suggest a shark or ray of any species to anyone only going to keep them in an aquarium.
They are both very beautiful creatures, which I might add are related. To fully enjoy their beauty as well as their gracefullness, one only needs to look at the sea. Just please enjoy them, not harrass. Too many of them dies due to the trophy hunter, please don't keep live trophies. Thank you

Long Time Beginner
03/03/2006, 08:49 AM
A LFS near me has a shark (I'm not sure what kind; sorry, sharks aren't something I've really done my homework on) in with a French Angel and a Blueface Angel (and a half dozen other fish). I stop to watch this tank every time I'm in the store and I've never seen any real aggression.

I do have to say though, the shark looks ridiculous in there. It's a big tank (8' long) but the shark is still like 1/4 as long as the tank. So he charges madly from end to end, having to turn around almost as soon as he starts. The other fish are left to constantly dive out of his way!

jr2857
03/03/2006, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6871096#post6871096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Long Time Beginner
A LFS near me has a shark (I'm not sure what kind; sorry, sharks aren't something I've really done my homework on) in with a French Angel and a Blueface Angel (and a half dozen other fish). I stop to watch this tank every time I'm in the store and I've never seen any real aggression.

I do have to say though, the shark looks ridiculous in there. It's a big tank (8' long) but the shark is still like 1/4 as long as the tank. So he charges madly from end to end, having to turn around almost as soon as he starts. The other fish are left to constantly dive out of his way!

I have a feeling it's a black tip reef shark. Those guys are active sharks unlike the bamboo, equallete and cat sharks. Now back to the thread. From what i've heard they CAN live with sharks as juvenilles but as they grow larger they will unexpectacly start picking on the shark. However that's for bottom dwelling sharks. You can keep them for their whole life with the active sharks such as black tip reefs, bonnets, and the list goes on and on. Sharks are my favorite animal and I have done A LOT of reaserch on them.