PDA

View Full Version : dumping ALL water from detrivore kit into tank????

cateyes
03/01/2006, 08:55 AM
i ordered a detrivore kit, form InlandAquatics) for my 75.. after adding several cups of tank water to acclimate the pods and other critters, i'm told to pour ALL contents of the bag to the tank.. that means dumping THEIR water in my tank also..if you try and strain the water i'll be losing alot of the pods.....

but i've always heard that you should never add water from "fish store bags" to your tank...

do you think it's ok to just dump it all in???

thanks

Craig Lambert
03/01/2006, 09:14 AM
FWIW, I received one of those kits last week. I followed the acclimation recommendations and haven't experienced any issues. (It will cloud your tank for a while though). IMO the real risk occurs when placing new SPS corals in your tank. They seem to be the host for most peoples flatworm problems. Be sure you turn down the flow in your tank for a half hour or so, otherwise the critters might get swept into your overflow

Anemonebuff
03/01/2006, 09:16 AM
I always filter things like pods and brine shrimp through a brine shrimp net. I will not add LFS water to my tank.

cateyes
03/01/2006, 10:25 AM
anyone else?? that's one yes and one no...

i wouldn't add water from fish stores to my tank either but they say the critters are all cultured at their facility. i didn't know if it would make a difference in the water quality or posibility of adding pathogens to my tank....

Agu
03/01/2006, 10:47 AM
If there are pathogens in the bag they're getting into your tank no matter what you do, unless you throw away the whole package.

The advice not to add LFS water really goes back to adding fish water to your tank. A lot of stores used to use (and a lot still do use ) copper in the fish part of their systems as disease prevention. Even low levels of copper are toxic to corals and inverts so people were advised "never" to add LFS water to your tank.

IA is a reputable company and if they advise adding the water to your tank I'd suggest you to take their advice.

cateyes
03/01/2006, 11:13 AM
thanks everyone!!!

looks like it's ALL going in!!!!