PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tangs and Ich

kj5432
03/01/2006, 10:13 AM
bought 2 small blue tangs. I put them in my 20 gallon quarantine tank where I will leave them for 4-6 weeks. I noticed 2 abrasions on one of the tangs so I started to use Mela-fix. I have used it now for 2 days (2 doses). Today I noticed small parasites on both fish. Not a bad infestation but they are present on the fish.

So I bought some copper. My question is...can I use copper a melafix at the same time? I wiould like to start copper treatment today. Should I discontinue the use of melafix and use the copper to get rid of the parasites or should I use them both at the same time???

mikersx02
03/01/2006, 10:48 AM
good question- I have a similiar situation right now... ich on one fish- possible infection on the other.

leebca
03/01/2006, 08:27 PM
The best thing to do is contact the manufacturer of Melafix and ask that question. They might need to know the kind of copper, or the name of the copper medication you will use.

In my opinion, Melafix is not doing that much for your fish and to discontinue its use is of no loss. However, failing to immediately start the copper treatment would be a BIG mistake. :)

Psionicdragon
03/02/2006, 01:14 AM
Melafix smells good and clears up a stuffy nose though :)

BTTRFLYGRL
03/02/2006, 09:06 AM
This is a little off topic but keep an eye on aggression between the two fish..I have had two Hippo's in qt for 2 months. They started off in a 30, I had to get a 55 gallon qt to place them in because they were fighting. I even had to partition the 55 with eggcrate:rolleyes: as soon as they are ready, one is going into my 240 and I am finding the other a good home...I don't want to have any further issues with these two

Hopefully yours will get along;)

kj5432
03/02/2006, 04:26 PM
The only problem with separating the fish using eggcrate is that they are so small that they could probably swim through te eggcrate. They are probably a little bit bigger than a quarter. With the exception of when they are "sleeping" they are constantly swimming together like a pair of clowns or something. Any suggestions???