PDA

View Full Version : food

Altpers0na-old
03/01/2006, 10:30 AM
Iv had my n. wenn for a week or so now, and all seems good...

iv read about every thread in the mantis forum... i see bits and peices of what people feed their mantis's, (manti?)

has anyone got a food option break down, maybe by subspecies, like the dr roy id list...

i see lots of contradictory, or non clear food descriptors.. yes this snail, no that snail, yes this crab, no that crab, eats everything in the tank...

Agu
03/01/2006, 04:36 PM
According to what Dr Roy has posted before they can be picky eaters. My n wennerae will eat most anything. But that might be because I vary its diet a lot.

mickey85
03/01/2006, 08:42 PM
I tried "people food" i.e. squid, crab, shrimp, mussels, etc...they were just thrown out of his burrow and eaten by sumo. Boris does like hermits though, and he still hasn't touched the snails I bought.

Altpers0na-old
03/01/2006, 10:38 PM
maybe my question should have been, what kind of mantis do you have and what foods does it like , not like or tolerates till it figures out how to get pizza hut to deliver a large peperoni and anchovi pizza.

so far, my entry is

n. wenn

dosnt like:

tolerates: raw shrimp, nutrafin max 'food for bottom feeders and invertabrits", blue leg crabs.

Uriel
03/02/2006, 01:28 AM
Hope that this helps a bit...my mantis collection.

Dagon
O. scyllarus (Peacock)-Sex unknown
Likes: Fiddler crabs, snails,ghost shrimp,thawed scallop,shrimp.
Musels and small clams from the market.
Not so big on: hermits, squid, red-legged crabs
Note: Lives with a Domino Damsel, 3 weeks on, no problems yet...

Hydra
O. scyllarus (Peacock)-Male
hermits,thawed scallop,shrimp,squid. Mussels.
Not so big on: Snails (Won't touch them)
Note: Lives with a yellow damsel, 3 weeks on, no problems yet...

Glaurung
G. platysoma-Sex unknown
Likes:Hermits above all else, ghost shrimp,some snails (margarita),
thawed scallop,shrimp
Not so big on: Crabs of any sort, he kills them and just leaves them usually... thawed Squid

Freya
G. chiraga-Female
Likes:Snails, fiddler, R-L crabs, ghost shrimp,thawed shrimp
Not so big on: Thawed squid or scallop, hermits

Athena
G. chiraga-Female
Likes: Fiddlers, red-legged crabs,ghost shrimp,hermits,thawed shrimp,scallop,squid.
Not so big on snails...

Baron Munchausen
G. viridis-Sex Unknown
Likes: Crabs of all sorts, snails,hermits,ghost shrimp,thawed shrimp,scallop.
Not so big on:Thawed squid.

Baba Yaga
G. ternatensis-Female
Likes: Snails,all crabs,ghost shrimp, guppies,thawed shrimp,
Feather Duster Worms (She ate several nice ones, once the got big.
Not so big on:Thawed scallop,squid.

***************R.I.P.***************

Lo Pan
N. wennerae-Male
Liked: Fiddler crabs, hermit crabs,ghost shrimp,thawed shrimp.
Wasn't so big on: hermits,silversides.

Typhon
G. glabrous-Female
Liked: Snails except for nassarius,ghost shrimp,fiddler crabs,thawed scallop,shrimp,squid.
Wasn't so big on: R-L crabs, Nass snails, as above.

-Ron

ZC
03/02/2006, 02:13 AM
WOW...that's a LOT of mantis'

Uriel
03/02/2006, 03:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6862042#post6862042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZC
WOW...that's a LOT of mantis'

Yep, until last week, when Typhon (G. glabrous) died after a bad molt, I had 8 of the little monsters. Still planning on adding at least one mantis (A P. cilata), possibly geting a second G. glabrous.

Ten tanks in my apartment so far, mostly 6 and 12 gallon Eclipse, along with a 30 (Tiny Fuzzy Dwarf Kion, firefish, bjue jewel damsel,green chromis). I still have a 25, a 75, an 80, a 55, 3 30's and another 5 that are unfilled. Planning on converting 2 larger into 'mantis hotels', to cut down on the sheer amount of plugs required, giving away a couple of the Eclipse 6s, etc...

Ach!

-Ron

DensityMan
03/02/2006, 06:35 AM
Tim (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266915) (G. smithii)
likes: Nassarius, Cerith, Astrea and ANY Crab tried to date (including mithrax, xanthids, shell-backs, coral-crabs)
dosnt like: Whelks
tolerates: Krill, shrimp pellets, Peppermint Shrimp and blue leg crabs.
notes: Has lived with several fish for short times which resulted in him hiding and them becoming boss of the tank. Has also lived with many coral and has only bothered branching LPS to use in remodelling projects.

rogerwells
03/02/2006, 10:44 AM
can you feed them a peice of like cocktail shrimp?

Devildogg9745
03/02/2006, 01:42 PM
yes I give mine cocktail shrimp as a "treat" He quickly pulls them into his borrow and closes it when I give them to him.

GruntSculpin
03/02/2006, 01:47 PM
Has anybody tried feeding the bigger mantises Ghost Shrimp (Callianassa californiensis)? I'm refering to the big sand shrimp collected along the pacific and used as bait.

Chris