PDA

View Full Version : I Want Your Sand!!!!!!!!!!!

mbbuna
03/01/2006, 11:03 AM
who want's to trade sand? im looking to trade a few cups with as many people as i can, i dont care what type of sand it is, as long as its from your tank(no cat litter please:) ) and as long as you dont have some kinda nasty bug. LMK

Chris

SerranidTerror
03/02/2006, 04:15 PM
Ok...this post got me curious. May I ask what your gunna use it for? :shrugs: Just curious...especially if your doing an experiment or eating it. And how much of a sand sample do you need?

mbbuna
03/02/2006, 05:58 PM
i just want to trade. a cup or 2 of mine for a cup or 2 of yours or anyone else's. its the best way to keep your sand bed functioning at its best and to increase biodiversity. over time you will lose a certain amount of fauna from your sand bed and other things become dominant. at least once a year you should "recharge" your sand bed and the best way to do that is to trade with as many people as you can.

so come on people lets swap some sand!!!

SmokeFish
03/02/2006, 06:03 PM
There is somebody that does an annual sand trade. Should be in the archives...

mbbuna
03/02/2006, 07:06 PM
thanks, yes i know that, im just looking for locals to trade with

SerranidTerror
03/02/2006, 11:59 PM
Ah decreasing biodiversity over time in a closed system...shoulda remembered that from ecology class. I guess I wouldnt mind swapping some sand maybe at the next club function? Maybe sooner depending on what happens at work (just found out my boss quit...yay for hours boo for less free time.) Sound good? Anyone else wanna contribute?

cmondo
03/03/2006, 12:26 AM
Sure i am sure that i could grab some sand and bring it to the next meeting or whatever works.

Tbor
03/06/2006, 09:54 PM
I can give you some sand, but as we discussed at the last meeting, it's pretty much dead! Agh! Actually I've been seeing a few bristleworms now and again, so the recovery is underway. Will be ordering some pods soon. I'd love to swap sand in a couple mos when mine has a little more to offer.
Swap sand... something about that just doens't sound right... oh, god, I've been spending way too much time working w/ a bunch of dirty old men...

mbbuna
03/07/2006, 12:08 AM
Mary
this will help you out. ill bring a few extra cups( and anyone else who wants) and we will mix them, and then you can have some to reseed your tank:)

Tbor
03/07/2006, 08:25 AM
sweet! thanks

Scarp
03/07/2006, 03:50 PM
My current tank's still pretty young, but I'll bring a few cups in.
~John

mbbuna
03/07/2006, 04:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6902722#post6902722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scarp
My current tank's still pretty young, but I'll bring a few cups in.
~John

sounds cool:D

bloopbloop
03/07/2006, 06:08 PM
I will have a gallon sized bag waiting your arrival on tour or you can pick it up before then. Just post your stop by availability and PRESTO!

Need more? Just ask.

I also have crazy growing green star polyps, if you'd like to carpet your lovely home with them. <3

kaptken
03/07/2006, 11:50 PM
Mary. I'll pick thru some filters for pods and whaterver other creepy crawlys i can find and bring em along for you. no need to order any of those things. i'll poke around under some rocks too. never know what i might find.

but for great starter sand and gravel there's nothing like a couple pounds of GARF GRUNGE. its got everything in it. we might consider a group order someday for reseeding.

Scarp
03/08/2006, 07:51 AM
Hey Ken,
Could you spare a few more 'pods please? I've been trying to get some going in my tanks for the last 2 months.

I googled the GARF GRUNGE but couldn't find it for sale. Is it expensive? I'd definitely would be interested in going in on an order.

Also, I just ordered 50 Ilyanassa obsoleta snails online and received 90. Let me know if anyone would like some.
~John

kaptken
03/08/2006, 11:49 AM
hey Scarp, not sure how much stuff i'll find in a filter at any one time. i usually pick the bugs out of them before i clean them and return them to the tanks to keep the stock going. i bought a few pounds of grunge 7 years back when i set up the first reef tank and have been spreading them to my other tanks and back again ever since. you probably have pods and dont know it. they are kinda nocturnal. live rock is usually filled with them. but you can Learn about grunge at GARFs site . just scroll down a couple clicks to some links on it.
http://www.garf.org/
i usually got some when i ordered frags. they seem to have a couple grades. i might have gotten the mud . it clouded up the tank for several days. but it had lots of bugs and sponges and who knows what else in it. great starter.

Tbor
03/13/2006, 10:12 PM
Well I am now at almost 2 mos of being dottyback free. Glancing at the tank last night I could see five bristleworms and at least 20 pods. The recovery is underway! Yeah!

mbbuna
03/15/2006, 11:19 AM
ok so im bringing about 12cups of sand. 2 for everyone that has said that they want some. that will give everyone the most diversity. i think thats better then just mixing everything together and taking 2cups back. what do youall think?

cmondo
03/15/2006, 06:47 PM
Sounds good to me.
Also I was wondering if anyone has any stomatella that they can spare?

thanks

bloopbloop
03/15/2006, 10:26 PM
mbbuna, it's all good.