PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Question

warden13
03/01/2006, 11:29 AM
I am looking into the Perfecto Sedona Wood Canopy for my 55 gal. Does anyone have any issues with the height of the canopy while using a T5 retro setup (4 bulbs)? I think the distance will only be about 5 inches from the T5 bulbs to the water. I understand that having a canopy could lead to heat and gas exchange problems vs. no hood. Is this primarily caused by glass being in the canopy? The Perfecto canopy contains tempered glass. I am planning on upgrading my PC light with a 4 bulb Tek T5 light so this may be the first step. Currently, I am leaning towards a canopy vs. no canopy because of evaporation issues and to prevent fish jumping out of the tank. Any additional comments or experiences with canopies and T5 lighting are always welcome. Thanks.

PiNaPLeX
03/01/2006, 12:24 PM
5 inches should be fine for t-5s. My friend has a similar canopy and has a 4 light T-5 setup running, and everything is fine.

As for gas exchange, if you have a sump, you don't have to worry about gas exchange.

warden13
03/01/2006, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have a sump. Did your friend have the tempered glass in his canopy?

thrlride
03/01/2006, 01:10 PM
It's not the canopy so much as the top being sealed. I highly doubt this canopy is fully sealed. If you have enough surface aggitation I believe you will be fine.