PDA

View Full Version : anemone bubbletips

SEAFLOWERS
03/01/2006, 01:32 PM
I have an anemone species tank and I am on this site daily. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a definitive (new)study on why Bta's seem to bubble at the tips in the wild but they don't in captivity most of the time from what I've seen over the last six years I have been in this hobby. I would like to read anything new that might be out there that I don't know about already.

dzovi
03/02/2006, 01:39 PM
From what I've read it is a mystery. In my own tank I have three bubble tips. One of the clones is more prone to bubbling while the other two aren't. It's weird.

Greg manton
03/03/2006, 10:46 AM
I have had three bulb tippeds and i have 30 times turn over they all have bulbed up on a regular basis i would (guess) it is flow

Amphiprion
03/03/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6871799#post6871799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Greg manton
I have had three bulb tippeds and i have 30 times turn over they all have bulbed up on a regular basis i would (guess) it is flow

Unfortunately, that still does not explain why some folks with 70+ "turnover" have BTA with long, thin tentacles. As dzovi said, I don't think anyone knows a real reason why the tips bulb or not.

Ehgemus
03/04/2006, 06:05 PM
my bta had bubbles when i bring it home and a couple of days after but now it don't. it was under t5 lights at the fish store, my tank had PC light, and now it is in a tank with MH light but still no bubbles.

catdoc
03/05/2006, 09:25 AM
I have clones from the same mother and in one tank they bubble, in the other they don't. I can't figure out the difference either.

Ehgemus
03/05/2006, 09:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6884804#post6884804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by catdoc
I have clones from the same mother and in one tank they bubble, in the other they don't. I can't figure out the difference either. what is the difference in the tanks? I thank in is in the light or the flow! or it might be in the way we feed them. I feed mine every other day I am going to try feeding mine ever day and see what happens.

Drewcipher
03/05/2006, 09:41 AM
I watched a show I had on Tivo yesterday from Discovery HD Theatre, and they addressed this issue, though it might not be true in all tanks...The show was called Equator and they said the anemone will not bubble its tips until it begins to host clownfish.

catdoc
03/05/2006, 09:46 AM
Bubbled bta tank:
35'ish gallon (36" long), no sump, dsb, HOB Emperor for carbon, Remora Pro skimmer w/mag 3 pump, 3 powerheads for water movement, no sump. Lit by a single 250 watt MH, 14K Hamilton. Two-part additive added every day or two (used to be B-ionic and now is Randy's 2-part). Tank was set up in July 2004. The btas host a pair of onyx percs. There's a gbta and an rbta, both bubbled.

Non-bubbled bta tank: 125 gallon tank, 100 gallon sump + 50 gallons in fuge/frag tank, ER 8-2 skimmer, no closed loop (yet), return via Hammerhead pump, bare-bottom tank, dual 400 watt MH 10K bulbs, 220 watts vho (actinic), also use two-part additive (same as in the other tank). This tank was set up in December of 2005 and is the reincarnation of a smaller tank started in November of 2003 (bta didn't bubble in that tank either). The new tank is going through the usual growing pains and starting a bit of an algae issue at the moment. The btas host a pair of gsm. Two of the rbtas are from the same clone as in the other tank, the other rbta is a different clone. None are bubbled.

In both tanks, the btas are fed sporadically--maybe once every week or two. I used to feed them more often, but couldn't keep up with the number of clones I was getting!

RBTA
03/05/2006, 09:51 AM
Drew, I've seen BTAs lose bubbled tips whe clowns start to host clowns, and I've also seen them get bubbled tips when they do start to host clowns.
My BTA has bubbled tips when the lights are on, and when the lights go out it loses their tips.

Ehgemus
03/05/2006, 10:03 AM
I hope some day someone figures it out, I like the bubbles better then the long tips.

Drewcipher
03/05/2006, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6884977#post6884977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBTA
Drew, I've seen BTAs lose bubbled tips whe clowns start to host clowns, and I've also seen them get bubbled tips when they do start to host clowns.
My BTA has bubbled tips when the lights are on, and when the lights go out it loses their tips.

Yea, I am sure that in tanks different things happen. Also, who knows if the show was right, but they stated quite plainly that in the wild the tips bubble only when clown fish are hosted.