PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's single union ball valve question

HippieSmell
03/01/2006, 03:07 PM
I went to Lowe's and found a good deal on 1.5" single union ball valves, only I think there was something wrong with them, or I'm an idiot. When I took the screw cap off, that was it. Nothing came apart like it should. Am I missing something? I really want to get these because it was only $8, but functionally it was only a ball valve since there was no "union".

Entropy
03/01/2006, 03:16 PM
Some people consider anything that joins two pipes to be a union. :( For what it is worth, I have never seen a union/ball valve or gate valve, more specifically never at Lowers or Depot. Most applications I have seen glue a slip ball valve, and then add a union elsewhere on the pipe.

nofrills
03/01/2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=1

HippieSmell
03/01/2006, 03:25 PM
Hmmm. They did have true union ball valves too, and I was really surprised that they did because I've never seen them anywhere else except online. The true unions worked like I thought they would, but the single unions just had a removeable cap/screw on thing that served no purpose. There was no rubber gasket or anything, it just struck me as strange and though maybe I was overlooking something.

HippieSmell
03/01/2006, 03:26 PM
I've looked at savko and they have good deals, but these single unions at Lowe's were really cheap, even the 1.5" true unions were only $15.

nofrills
03/01/2006, 03:33 PM
I just got mine the other day from savko and could'nt be happier. I just waited til i figured out all the stuff i needed and ordered it all at once. Got it in 3 days!

AcroSteve
03/04/2006, 10:54 AM
There are some cheap valves out there that are not worth anything.

The single union valves at Lowe's is one example.

Save your money.

xtrstangx
03/04/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6857465#post6857465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Entropy
Some people consider anything that joins two pipes to be a union. :( For what it is worth, I have never seen a union/ball valve or gate valve, more specifically never at Lowers or Depot. Most applications I have seen glue a slip ball valve, and then add a union elsewhere on the pipe.

My Lowes has Schedule 40 True Union Ball Valves. $22 for 2", $16 for 1.5", and $10 for 1".. Sucks cause I have to get atleast 12 true union ball valves for the new tank. :mad: