PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer

jtp7004ft
03/01/2006, 05:38 PM
hello,

I went to my LFS and bought a red sea prizm skimmer for $140. it wasnt the deluxe(just the regular one).I just returned it today. I paid way too much for that skimmer! I found them online for less than $80.

The skimmer was shooting out tiny micro bubbles into my tank, i had the valve off ( lowest setting poss.) the higher i turned it up more bubbles came out.

Is this typical for all skimmers?

I called red sea and they said that happens alot with their skimmers, they suggested that I buy a small sponge to put in the skimmer to break the bubbles before they enter the tank!

I would like to find a good brand to use...........

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Joel

ledford1
03/01/2006, 06:05 PM
If you need another HOB skimmer, the Coralife Super Skimmers are really popular, and, unlike the Prizm, it has a good following. I'd get the CSS220 (oversizing the skimmer is a good thing) and take back the Prizm. The AquaC Remora and Remora Pro are decent as well. Deltec makes and expensive HOB skimmer also.

HTH

jtp7004ft
03/01/2006, 06:45 PM
can someone tell me a good web site, with the best prices for protein skimmers.

thank you
joel

mg426
03/01/2006, 06:47 PM
Try www.marinedepot.com Good selection of quality skimmers. excellent rating system.

dannieboiz
03/01/2006, 09:18 PM
you can often find hot deals for good skimmers here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2) the catch is you gotta be quick cause they get snatched up fast. Forces you to visit the site daily. :) look for a Remora Pro. Never used one personally but knows someone who does and really liked it.

jimbo045
03/01/2006, 10:13 PM
SeaClone 100 is hang on for a little over 100 I think. JD

davocean
03/02/2006, 02:53 PM
I had the prism, didn't like it.
Went to bak pak, a little better, VERY LOUD
After checking light/filtr forum and seeing page after page of people happy w/ coralife skimmers, I got a CSS220.
Couldn't be happier. Great skimming, VERY QUIET
Spend the couple extra for the 220, that's on my 90 as well.
Check marine depot or Drs foster&smith

tsutherland
03/02/2006, 03:16 PM
I have a Coralife super skimmer 220 and I am very happy with it.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62971Skimmate.JPG

Serioussnaps
03/02/2006, 03:26 PM
they will all shoot bubbles into the tank unlees it is in sump with baffles or goes from sump to refugium where the bubbles can be diffused
try going to get some of those thick sponges and stack them up underneath where the skimmer releases the water so the water can slowly trickly down the sponges,---no more bubbles
sounds like you dont have a place where the bubbles can be diffused really---sump

chrisbenavides
03/02/2006, 03:54 PM
My Remora AquaC Pro doesn't shoot bubbles into the tank. At least it hasn't done so in 8 months. And I HIGHLY recommend it.

BlackOnyx
03/02/2006, 05:33 PM
many people will tell you a red sea is a mistake and they just upgraded

Alaskan Reefer
03/02/2006, 06:10 PM
Many new skimmers will shoot microbubbles, especially HOB skimmers. Sponge will help with the problem, but keep it clean -- rinse every other day or so. Once the skimmer body gets a nice slime coating on it, the microbubble problem will go away.

The bigger problem is that a Prizm is suitable for about a 20 gallon tank, assuming average bioload. If it's on a 90, you're going to be upgrading at some point -- and the sooner the better. In the meantime, you can add a wood airstone into the reaction chamber and double the performance -- but two times nothing is still nothing (which is close to reality here). I modified my Prizm to death a few years ago and got it limping, but the bottom line is that they aren't very efficient skimmers.

Assuming you want it to HOB, I would purchase a Coralife Super Skimmer 220 if you want an upgrade now. If you can wait to afford (or can already afford) a Deltec MCE600, you will get maximum HOB performance -- although not necessarily maximum value, where the Coralifes clearly are king. The Deltec (and, in fairness, the Coralife 220) will be usable on the inevitable (eventually you'll want a 6 foot tank) upgrade to a 125 gallon.

The Remora and Remora Pro are inadequate for a 90 gallon system. I had a Pro which I upgraded pumps on (to a Mag 5) and it was marginal at best on a medium stocked 75 gallon tank. They function well, but they're massively overrated as far as capacity just like most skimmers. I think manufactures assume every tank only has an inch of fish for every ten gallons or something.

MrChico
03/02/2006, 06:18 PM
I bought my css 220 from here http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31845;category_id=3203;pcid1=;pcid2= it arrived in 3 days.

I would recomend it, you could get away with the 125 but if your going to upgrade anytime later spend the extra money and get the 220