PDA

View Full Version : New tank, checking for leaks

HkySk8r187
03/01/2006, 08:18 PM
I just got my new tank all put together. It's 60 gallons, plus a 30 gallon sump. I want to fill it up and make sure there are no leaks in the plumbing.

My question is, is it okay to use tap water for this? I'm just going to fill it up and run it for about an hour, and then drain it. I wasn't sure if copper or something else in the tap water could mess the tank up later on for my reef. Would it be better to fill it with the salt water I plan on using? Just trying to avoid this since it requires me going back and fourth to the LFS with my jugs.

Also, what is the process for filling it up? Do I fill the main tank first almost to the overflow, then fill the sump and turn on the pump? Or do I fill the main tank and allow it to overflow into the sump?

Thanks guys

dugg
03/01/2006, 08:24 PM
Tap water will be fine, but leave it more than an hour to test. I always test mine 24hrs before i do a final setup. Leaks can take some time to show thier ugly heads.

HkySk8r187
03/01/2006, 08:27 PM
Even if it's hard water from the sink? Nothing in the water (chemicals) will stay on the glass or in the pipes that could mess anything up later on?

bertoni
03/01/2006, 08:47 PM
If you have a RO-DI unit or the like, you could fill the tank with that, and then just add salt if there are no leaks. That's probably what I'd do. I doubt that tapwater is going to cause any problems for this application, though. Draining the tank is more trouble than it's worth, though, IMO.