PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be moving

janco
03/01/2006, 11:05 PM
Well, folks, looks like I'm definitely gonna move in the next 3-5 months. The owner of the place I'm renting told me today he's selling. And since I've been looking to get off the island for some time now, looks like this is the best excuse I'm gonna get to motivate myself in that direction.

I don't plan on giving up the hobby, but I will have to do something with my livestock in the next couple of months. I'll probaly also sell a bunch of hard goods, as I'm looking to setup a larger tank after I move (somewhere between 150-180 gallons).

Anyway, not sure where I'm gonna move to, but since I telecommute, I can go just about anywhere I can hook up to a high speed connection. I'm also not in any extreme hurry to part with anything yet, but I'll keep you all posted when I do decide what I'm gonna part with and what I'm gonna keep.

jan

aaron23
03/01/2006, 11:13 PM
:( i have yet to meet you yet im new to the club! :(((( so sad sorry to hear that you'll be moving... hopefully closeby right? ;d

cb747
03/02/2006, 04:56 AM
Wow Janco good luck! I may end up doing the same thing in a few years. Its just getting way to crazy to live around here. I want more out of life than paying my bills LOL

eboonaman
03/02/2006, 05:07 AM
Jan,
Good Luck and all the best, I going right after you and chris, I've got only 7 more yrs left in my job before I can retire from it. then my wife and I are getting off this money sponge they call LI. :lol: Only problem is, where do you go? :confused:

keefsama2003
03/02/2006, 05:12 AM
oregon coast and follow the trail

thats what my wife and i are going to do when we retire.

cb747
03/02/2006, 06:14 AM
Im thinking someplace warm. Either the carolinas or florida :)

keefsama2003
03/02/2006, 06:16 AM
oregon coast so i can get my horse and buggy and ride the trail :-P

cb747
03/02/2006, 06:18 AM
Yeeee Hawww :)

keefsama2003
03/02/2006, 06:21 AM
yeah i can be cowboy bob

keefsama2003
03/02/2006, 06:22 AM
hey chris i need your # can you pm it to me.

cb747
03/02/2006, 07:28 AM
keith you have pm

keefsama2003
03/02/2006, 07:59 AM
thanks im gonna try to get out there tomorrow to help with the fish and the uv

janco
03/02/2006, 08:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6862196#post6862196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eboonaman
Jan,
Good Luck and all the best, I going right after you and chris, I've got only 7 more yrs left in my job before I can retire from it. then my wife and I are getting off this money sponge they call LI. :lol: Only problem is, where do you go? :confused:

Well, Chuck, you go where you want to, where you can, where you think you're gonna be happy. You just gotta be careful you don't go where you think the grass will be greener ;)

I was never really happy on Long Island. Moved back here broke after a tough custody fight and retiring from the Air Force back in '92. Raised my son here, but it's been a tough battle for us. And it certainly wasn't the Long Island I left in '72. Indeed, in the 13 years I've been back here I've seen it go from fair to worse in terms of quality of life and the impact that can have on folks from a psychological/sociological perspective.

Still, good people can be found no matter where you are and there definitely are some left here on the Island. You just gotta catch them in the right mode, like those here in LIRA. Regardless of what one perceives as difficulties when it comes to communicating with each other, you guys do tend to stick together and help each other out: whether when it comes to reefing, or when in need due to just generally rough times.

Anyway, I'll get off my highbrow kick now and go back to being my normally wacko self, posting from left field. Which reminds me: I'm only a couple of messages away from my avatar phrase. Gotta come up with something that'll stick like darts in a dartboard, arrows in an apple, or frags on a rock :).

jan

fishamajiggle
03/02/2006, 09:16 AM
janco

happy to help if you have anything you need moved. Besides you lent me the lucky dollar;)

Spracklcat
03/02/2006, 10:36 AM
Jan, you can always join me in taking over one of Doug's cottages upstate. He's starting a commune I think. I'm sure he'll run high speed lines for us--I mean, everyone has to have their priorities.

dougwilliams
03/02/2006, 11:13 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77641150239a.jpg

Thats the new Williams compound - a few times larger than the present one - 3 garages and (yes, Larry) - a heated driveway (although at 28kW I think I need to upgrade to ethelyne glycol first). 7 acres, mostly wooded behind- but I have neighbors on each side - residential looking from the street. There are a few cabin/shed type structures out back - with electric and wood stoves etc. Some of those will be coming down though (unless someone wants top rent space for a meth lab from me). And plenty of room for a fish tank or two on the lower level - I'm thinking dual 180's plus sumpage - a reef and a FOWLR predator type tank...

PS- I offered Jan one of the cabins out back but he said he didnt want anyone else to know where his operations base was....

pyro383
03/02/2006, 12:17 PM
Holy crap, 7 acres, very nice. What town? Would be sweet if you could sub-divide & then you would have no mortgage and could build an outdoor reef with all that cash.

dougwilliams
03/02/2006, 12:54 PM
No outdoor reefs in Binghamton...

Where are you going Jan?

Spracklcat
03/02/2006, 12:55 PM
Outdoor reef in Binghamton? And you guys thought YOUR electric bills were huge...

janco
03/02/2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks for thoughts folks.

Doug, the shack idea seemed like a good idea when moving was still an option. Now that it's gonna have to happen, I'm examining all possibilities, including shacks, my alpine tent, fridge boxes, and prime under-trestle real estate ;)

Seriously though, it's still a bit early to say where we're gonna go. Like you, I've been examining some real estate upstate, especially something like the following:

http://www.agearedgrafix.com/images/house.jpg

It's not as extravagant as yours (nice property, btw) at 1990 sq ft on 4.4. acres, but it certainly would be big enough for Eric and I, and the price is right. It's also about 100 miles further west of you, with about 80" of snow annually. There's also the possibility, if absolutely necessary, of moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth (TX), Raleigh (NC), or Ottawa (CA) areas, but only if work would absolutely necessitate that. Personally, I like upstate NY best, but one often has to do what they gotta do and I'm not adverse to any of those locations. And if I really had my druthers, I'd move to the Yellowstone National Park part of the country, just to be able to say I was sitting on top of the world's largest volcano and to be able to post pix of bears attacking my bird houses :)

jan

billsreef
03/02/2006, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6864494#post6864494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat
Outdoor reef in Binghamton? And you guys thought YOUR electric bills were huge...

Like you'd really notice the cost of running a reef tank when you have an electric heated driveway :D

Jan,

We'll be sad to see you go, but where ever you end up, I wish you the best :beer:

kevin21
03/02/2006, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6865286#post6865286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Like you'd really notice the cost of running a reef tank when you have an electric heated driveway :D

Jan,

We'll be sad to see you go, but where ever you end up, I wish you the best :beer:

couldnt have said it better but ill give it a shot....

GOOD LUCK JAN!!!! please stay on the lira forums! :bounce2: :bounce1: :bounce3: :bounce1: :bounce3: :bounce2:

dougwilliams
03/02/2006, 03:30 PM
That house looks very nice Jan- a lot newer than any of the bunmch I have owned. Part of me always wanted something newer - but it never seemed to fall into place... I'd love to have my own built- but thats out of the financial picture...

100 miles west - so a bit further than Corning - my brother lived in ALfred for a while- thats about the only thing I know out there. I've looked at NC and a few other places- but jobs never materialized...

dougwilliams
03/02/2006, 03:31 PM
But if you do end up in that area - we can trade frags and start a LIRA satellite branch...

janco
03/02/2006, 04:03 PM
Actually, I did a mapquest thingee and the house is 168 miles west of Binghamton, about 3.5 hrs drive. And it isn't new, built during the early 1900's and just well kept by a retiring couple who want to do the RV thing around the country.

There's even additional heating in the form of a coal fired furnance outside, as well as a coal storage "grain" mill. The detached barn/work shop is heated that way.

Ha, lol! Noticed I said "barn." Farmer jan, aka redneck jan, aka shotgun toting, truck drivin' jan ;)

P.S. Kevin, thanks!

Reef Junkie
03/02/2006, 07:24 PM
Boy Jan, it'll be a shame to see you go. Of all the nutjobs in our group, you always seemed to inject a sense of reality. Well, in your own warped way... :lol:

I'm sure I speak for the group when I say we'll be here for you if you need help.

Bill

Justjoe
03/02/2006, 07:52 PM
Jan,
If you need it, I may be able to hold some critters for you during your transition.
Joe

LCGoldman
03/02/2006, 08:35 PM
Jan,

Sad to see you go... hardly got to know you.

janco
03/02/2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks again, guys.

Lonnie--I'm not gone yet. You still have 3-5 months to get to know me ;) And I guess, I you...

Joe--thanks for that offer! I really feel bad about giving up my corals and fish, especially my fish. I might just take you up on that offer when the time comes to do so.

Bill--right back at you. But did you ever think that sometimes there's alot more sense to be found in artfully applied wackiness than alot of the other things going on about us? For instance, a couple of lessons I learned from a few people I knew at one time or another:

Sgt Cohen, looking for help as the engine sputtered flames, spies Sgt McIntire and runs across the tarmac and field toward him. "Sgt McIntire, Sgt McIntire!!!" Cohen yelling, out of breath. Cohen screams "Weber dropped the wrench and there was puddled fuel and a spark and Sgt McIntire, Sgt McIntire, flames are shooting out of the engine!!!

McIntire, still aloof after Happy Hour, steps back a few feet and shakes his upper torso. He then raises his arms, slowly moving them up and down and up and down repeatedly. Smiling calmly, he looks Cohen right in the eye, almost soberly, and says "slowly, slowly, slowly..."

No panic there.

"Then there was Radar Ralph, who made $3-4 million side-lining souvenir trinkets during Cohen's earlier days in the Air Force. Ralph often looked like a bit of a slob and to the casual observer often appeared as dumb as he looked. But those close to him knew better.

One of Ralph's greatest traits was his ability to listen to what others had to say, even those who always seemed to have something to say, with a kind of patience seen in relatively few others. Even when that brash sort or braggart would harp on and on and on about this or that, when the time came for he or she to ask what Ralph thought about their ideas, Ralph would pause for a moment, hand on chin like the Thinker, and respond with a slight nod of his head, perhaps accompanied by a small grin, and with surety say "You know...? I didn't know that."

Yep, Radar Ralph and his millions, the man who knew nothing

So when you see me coming and I'm acting stoopid, when you're trying to figure out what this kinda crazy looking guy might be all about, just keep in mind that maybe that sheet-eating grin on my face is little more than just the culmination of a number of wacky folks preceding me.

Now if I could only package that and sell it ;)

I rest my case, and bag of farts.

jan

Corpus Callosum
03/02/2006, 10:39 PM
Jan

I hate to ask at such a moment, but..

Can you start listing all the fish you have, equipment, and corals? post pics if possible also

once again i hate to ask..

janco
03/03/2006, 12:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6869216#post6869216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sci33
I hate to ask at such a moment, but..

You probably ought to go with your gut feelings then.

Sorry, but I'm in no hurry to shutdown the tank, and I'm not giving up the hobby. So give me a couple of months and I'll probably post what I'm gonna sell, but not before then. At this stage of the game, I'm still not sure of what I'm going to part with and what I'm going to keep.

I just know that after the move, I want a bigger tank :D Not a giant, huge tank, mind you, just something bigger.

jan

P.S. ...and that was my 500th post.

eboonaman
03/03/2006, 05:22 AM
JAN, Is "product of my environment" anything like "master of your domain"? (Seinfeld) :D

cymbiline
03/03/2006, 06:50 AM
Anyone looking to get to warmer weather and come down to Tampa area I can hold livestock for you. Just in case you were wondering its going to be in the 80's today.

Bobby

That goes for you to Chris!

janco
03/03/2006, 08:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6870357#post6870357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eboonaman
JAN, Is "product of my environment" anything like "master of your domain"? (Seinfeld) :D

Chuck,

;)

jan

Spracklcat
03/03/2006, 08:34 AM
Chuck, you really have an amazing talent to be able to turn any conversation into a "Master of your domain" conversation, and to bring every single LIRA thread to the brink of getting censored.

Good job!:beer:

janco
03/03/2006, 09:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6871004#post6871004 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat
Chuck, you really have an amazing talent to be able to turn any conversation into a "Master of your domain" conversation, and to bring every single LIRA thread to the brink of getting censored.

Good job!:beer:

Yeah, don't you just love him when he does that ;)

jan

Corpus Callosum
03/03/2006, 03:22 PM
you should move to the rainforest.. costa rica or brazil

olemos
03/03/2006, 06:55 PM
Jan, you suck... just when I was starting to belive that Santa is a real a guy... you leave, now all I have is the Easter Bunny. :(

Oh well, you got to do what's right for you, when ever you decide to leave, just make sure you keep in touch with us.
Good Luck Buddy.

olemos
03/03/2006, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6873868#post6873868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sci33
you should move to the rainforest.. costa rica or brazil
A place where he can just walk up to a beach and collect clean water for a water change. ;)

Reef Junkie
03/03/2006, 09:23 PM
Well, a lot of us married guys were hoping Ray could play the part of the Rabbit for Easter, but he keeps jumping on the same bunny. Then there was some high hopes for Brad, but he high tailed it out of here as soon as he rediscovered women (the other white meat).

Who's left? There are hopes for Christine, but that's only if she's seriously into other women. As hopeful as that cumare comment and her confession sounded, I don't believe she would really forsake "man"kind.

So the duty rests on Kevins shoulders, but we'll have to wait a few years before our savior comes of age.

Jan,

Your wit and imagination go beyond the bounds of my simple mind. I really do think you're a walking train wreck and that's why I'll miss you. You're down to earth and human, kind of like Johnny Cash, without all the women and drugs. Well, maybe without the women. Yet I'm sure you have quite a few stories to tell.:fun1:

kevin21
03/03/2006, 09:54 PM
:lol:

I dont know if i want this posistion? lol

Spracklcat
03/04/2006, 06:31 AM
Jan, Jan, what will we do without our king of borborygmi?

DgenR8
03/04/2006, 06:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6877918#post6877918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat

Of all the things you could have responded to, you decided to play it safe..............

;) thank you!

dougwilliams
03/04/2006, 01:39 PM
Kevin needs a new name - more fitting of his title.

janco
03/04/2006, 02:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6877918#post6877918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat

Dunno, if you really want it that bad, I expect I could record it and upload a .wav file that anyone could listen to at anytime ;)

Or I could teach you how to do it yourself :D

jan

Reef Junkie
03/04/2006, 09:51 PM
I imagine Jan would be pretty good at producing borborygmi.
:D

kevin21
03/04/2006, 11:34 PM
lol,

what should my name be...? lol

janco
03/05/2006, 12:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6882796#post6882796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Junkie
I imagine Jan would be pretty good at producing borborygmi.
:D

So? I've got no problem admitting that. In fact, I consider it a fine art developed during the course of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, almost brought to a complete stop overnight by the advent of Beano.

DgenR8
03/05/2006, 05:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6883427#post6883427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin21
lol,

what should my name be...? lol

That is a dangerous question to ask, especially while the topic at hand in this thread appears to be borborygmi!

keefsama2003
03/05/2006, 05:54 AM
i shall refrain from commenting

janco
03/05/2006, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6884050#post6884050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
That is a dangerous question to ask, especially while the topic at hand in this thread appears to be borborygmi!

Let the kid have a go at it. Like alot of others, he could become an apprentice borborygmier. Then, once he became a master, we could teach him about baiting tackle.

Or maybe he already knows ;)

DgenR8
03/05/2006, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6884917#post6884917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janco
Let the kid have a go at it. Like alot of others, he could become an apprentice borborygmier. Then, once he became a master, we could teach him about baiting tackle.

Or maybe he already knows ;)

Done deal, from this point forward, Kevin will be known as Borbory (for short) Would you like me to change your user name for you now????????
:lmao:

terranova
03/05/2006, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6876319#post6876319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Junkie
Well, a lot of us married guys were hoping Ray could play the part of the Rabbit for Easter, but he keeps jumping on the same bunny. Then there was some high hopes for Brad, but he high tailed it out of here as soon as he rediscovered women (the other white meat).

Who's left? There are hopes for Christine, but that's only if she's seriously into other women. As hopeful as that cumare comment and her confession sounded, I don't believe she would really forsake "man"kind.

So the duty rests on Kevins shoulders, but we'll have to wait a few years before our savior comes of age.

I'm very greatful I escaped this story. :)

Reef Junkie
03/05/2006, 11:17 AM
I think you're immune to this anyway.;)

keefsama2003
03/05/2006, 11:18 AM
i guess for obvious reasons that arent very obvious eh

kevin21
03/05/2006, 12:43 PM
:lol:

borbory....how nice! lol

nah i might get banned from RC if you guys could choose my username! :lol: :lol: