PDA

View Full Version : Mixing anemone species

tstone
03/02/2006, 09:19 AM
Looking for peoples experience with mixing anemone species long term

Haddoni, gigantea, magnifica, BTA, condy, etc.

I know as general rule it may not work. Just looking for peoples experiences

TIA

richfavinger
03/08/2006, 07:56 AM
I 2nd that...
I have a Green Carpet, and just see a nice looking LTA, will they get along?
I also have a False Perc', seems to show no interest in my carpet, wrong mix?

Rich

Rod Buehler
03/08/2006, 08:05 AM
I keep 2 gigantaes, 1 hadoni and a RBTA all on the same system with a common sump, but they are not in the same tanks. I dont have any problems. Im not sure what would happen if they were all in the same tank.

tstone
03/08/2006, 08:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6907721#post6907721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rod Buehler
Im not sure what would happen if they were all in the same tank.

Rod that's cool. I was under the assumption keeping them together could be a problem.

To clarify my question I am thinking of setting up my 125 as a mixed anemone tank. Not going to if it may be an issue

Rod Buehler
03/08/2006, 03:13 PM
I have also herad that mixing species can be a problem, but I dont think we really know. If I had them in closer proximity, there may be problems like others have reported. On the other hand, the issues that others have reported may have not been caused by chemical warefare. Maybe they were, maybe they werent. I dont think that there has actually been any studies...
I will say again that mine are all in seperate tanks (but a common sump), and I run carbon pretty often. I have kept the gigantea and the RBTA on the same system for quite a few years, but the hadoni and the other gigantea were added within the last 18 months.

delphinus
03/08/2006, 03:21 PM
I used to be a stronger proponent for keeping anemones out of the same tank, but the problem is I'm a hypocrite when I suggest that.

Ultimately, I still do think the theory of keeping them in distinct setups is better overall. However, there are plenty of examples of multiple individuals in the same system seemingly without problems, but I feel there is more to anemones than we generally give them credit for -- the potential for problems is there - but whether that "potential" becomes "reality" depends on probably more variables than we can predict. In most cases it's probably not a problem at all unless one of them is stressed for whatever reason, in which case it could become more susceptible to whatever it is.

I used to keep my H. magnifica in with my BTA's. Of course with BTA's they split. When it was just the two anemones, there was no problem. But then the BTA split and I had three (2 BTA 1 ritteri). Still no problem. Then another split. Now 3 vs 1. Then another split. Now 4 vs. 1. Suddenly the ritteri wouldn't inflate as much. It got worse over several days and finally was not inflating at all. I thought I would lose it. I started pulling out the BTA's. Within a week of the separation, the ritteri started looking better. What exactly happened I'll likely never know, but it seems suggestive to me that the colonial nature of the multiple BTA's tipped the balance.

So .. having said this, I have one tank with 3 BTA's and a S. gigantea carpet. The BTA's are 2 of one kind and one rose. There don't appear to be problems yet, but I'm planning on keeping them in separate system in the future (for one, having a tank full of anemone like that really restricts what else you can keep in there, they take up a lot of real estate!).

I also have another S. gigantea carpet and it was housed in the same system as my H. mag with no apparent problems. I have the H. mag in its own tank now though and hope to keep it that way from now on.

Hope my rambling makes some sense.

Toddrtrex
03/08/2006, 03:21 PM
While, I wouldn't do it again.. I do have a BTA and Haddoni in the same tank. Overall I haven't had any issues. The only time there was a problem was when my BTA split and the clone went on walk about. I had thought that the BTA would "lost" that encounter, but the Haddoni was the one that looked worse for wear. It has sense recovered.