PDA

View Full Version : Bare Bottom Tanks

woodstockaz
03/02/2006, 11:09 AM
I'm back and the project is a 120 this time. I am looking into a bare bottom with crazy "floating" rock...suspended invisibly above the bare bottom.

Who has bare bottom?
Anyone see potential problems for a fish only bare bottom?

Lets see some pictures people.......

Serioussnaps
03/02/2006, 04:37 PM
If it is fish only, it may be beneficial, especially since you will likely have a heavy bioload with the size of the tank you have(you will probably keep larger fish)
Dont have one but a buddy does on his fish only and it makes it easy on him come water change time.
Just makes sure you run some very very good current and i see the benefits of this.
I would go witha refugium with about a 6 inch sandbed if i were you . Provide natural foods for your fish especially if you go out of town, help buffer the water from lack of substrate in main tank, and help with the large bioload you will likely have.

I will see if my buddy has any pics of his Bare bottom i could post.

i dont see a problem particularly if you do a refugium which is very easy to set up

also if you do a barebottom i suggest alot of good premium live rock in there as well

glassbox-design
03/02/2006, 04:47 PM
Hey Woodstock,

There are many good threads here on RC on the subject the more you read the better.

To answer your question...There are no problems for FO tanks run in the BB manner. Be sure to run heavy flow and siphon the detritus off the bottom as needed. I would recomend cooking your rocks, it will save you lots of time siphoning.

eric&flint

woodstockaz
03/02/2006, 05:02 PM
Not planning on refugium, but will consider a HOB refugium.

Why should I cook the rocks Flint? Dosen't that kill the bacteria?
I am transferring lots of rock from other tanks as well as some lace rock that will be drilled and formed with PVC.

I'd love to see pictures!!!!!

woodstockaz
03/03/2006, 01:22 AM
Also gonna make rocks float in the water!