PDA

View Full Version : MegaFlow vs TwinFlow

Tobman
03/02/2006, 11:36 AM
I see that AGA has two internal overflow options: MegaFlow and TwinFlow. Can anyone tell me how well the TwinFlows work compared to the MegaFlows?

Also, I know the flow rate on the MegaFlows is 600 gph. Do you know what the flow rate is on the TwinFlows?

poppin_fresh
03/02/2006, 12:21 PM
The twin flows are for the larger tanks. They are placed in the back corners instead of the middle. They will both flow up to 600gph, so you effectively have up to 1200gph total.

You dont have a choice on which ones you get. AGA's website shows which tank size gets which overflow type.

Tobman
03/02/2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the TwinFlow would be as good as the MegaFlow at surface skimming. It seems that it would not be as good with much of the flow coming in from below the water's surface.

Northtampatang
03/02/2006, 12:58 PM
They both perform the same as far as surface skimming.

BTW, my All-Glass Rep told me that they will be bringing back the corner overflows in all RR tanks 4' and larger in the next year or so. Many people complained about the Mega-Flow design; apparently they had a design group that were not hobbiests LOL

The Mega-Flows are a PITA IMO, there an eye sore and hard to aquascape around.

nemo g
03/02/2006, 07:55 PM
hate to correct, but these are the differences.

megaflow is the new design, that has even been passed over to oceanic.

megaflow is included on all "standard" reef ready tanks

twinflow, is the old design and only found on corner tanks.

proof is in the pudding @

http://all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

click on megaflow and twinflow on the menu in the upper left

Northtampatang
03/02/2006, 08:23 PM
hate to correct, but these are the differences.

Mega-flow is the new design for now, it WILL be an even option soon enough.

Twin-flow is the "old design", but is still an option becuase many many people inundated All-Glass with complaints about the design placement of mega-flows.

All-Glass decided to make the switch back to the twin-flows for most tanks when Perfecto redesigned their RR"s to "Corner-Flo" design tanks hurting the sales of All-Glass

The skimming efficentcy is the same and so are th GPH flow rates.

click on megaflow and twinflow on the menu in the upper left

Ive seen the website. When I say that I talk to the All-glass rep, i'm not talking about someone at the LFS. Central Pet owns All-Glass and Oceanic and I have an account with Central. I talked to their All-Glass rep and the factory rep at the last Road-Show who told me the above.

But thanks for the correction
;) :rolleyes:

Northtampatang
03/02/2006, 08:58 PM
BTW, here is the listing right out of the online wholesale catalog.

02012605 [015905126052] 12605 4 EA ******* 8.00 AGA TANK CRNR OVRFL BK 90G

02012608 [015905126083] 12608 1 EA ******* 8.00 AGA TANK 2 CRNR OVRFL BK 125G

02012612 [015905126120] 12612 1 EA ******* 8.00 AGA TANK 2 CRNR OVRFL BK 180G

As you can see, they still make corner overflows on tanks other than corners. The simple fact is they dont make as many and LFS's dont want to order them because they cost more than Megaflows but are hard to sell for more. The asterics are in place of the price which is the only modification done to the listing. If you are in doublt call All-glass and give them the 5 digit number.

Lakeside518
03/02/2006, 09:15 PM
Agree with Northtampatang

I would not buy a tank unless it has corner overflows. IMO
The Megaflows just take up to much display space.

I rescently bought an All-glass 125 RR w/ corner overflows. Am defin happy with it.

dwd5813
03/03/2006, 01:34 AM
my lfs guy told me that at the show he went to he watched person after person complain to aga about the megaflow's location in the tank. he said that they are most likely to go back to the corner style. as it was explained to me, they are pretty much identical when compared based on flow rate, just configured differently to accomodate the change in location.

nemo g
03/03/2006, 11:55 AM
well someone should really train staff properly. i dont beleive in "imo", and "imhe" and do my share of homework before claiming knowledge.

i had emailed aga regarding any design changes, either by them or by the customer via a "costum" order.

i was told:

1- what they have on their website is only what is available
2- they dont do custom orders.

so im glad i committed the faupax as it led to more detailed information :D

hey north, about ordering one of the "corner" rr tanks. how and where do we ask for them? my lfs either dont know or dont want to give pricing on them.

the easiest solution for the damn overflow placement is to center it. geez. even something like the new oceanic tech series. its a bit wider, but at least its thinner, flat, centered, and accomadates a pair of returns (and drains for larger tanks).

any way, thanks for the info!

dascharisma
03/03/2006, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6864521#post6864521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Northtampatang

The Mega-Flows are a PITA IMO, there an eye sore and hard to aquascape around.

I think the corner overflows look much worse. They limit the area on the side of the tank for viewing.

Brad

Northtampatang
03/03/2006, 03:59 PM
Nemo,

The numbers posted above are the order numbers (7-digit is the Central Pet order number and 5 digit is the AGA number). Any LFS sellling All-Glass should be ordering from Central Pet (wholesale distributors) since they own both All-Glass and Oceanic, there may be other "distibutors" selling All-Glass, but they are secondary. If you are looking to get ahold of the corner overflows, I would use the 5 digit numbers and tell your LFS upfront that that is the part number. If they say that it doesnt exist, they are either laying it on or really do not know, both should make you wary. I know for a fact that at least the three tanks listed above are in stock at central at teh moment because I checked the online database when I posted them from it.

I'm sure it would **** some people at either central or AGA off by posting the stock numbers even though I left out prices, but hey, I havent had to buy from them in a long time anyways LOL.

Also, All-Glass has no custom division. Correct. Oceanic is the subsidiary that will do customs, but its like buying gold.

BTW, if any of you are hung-up on corners, the new perfecto corner-flow are built really nice with a bit more attention to detail from what I have seen. All-Glass was the only factory style tanks I could get for poeple with a decent overflow system untill I saw the new perfecto's (different distibutor than All-Gass). The price is just lightly higher (about 7%) but the seams look better and the trim looks a bit better. This is comming from someone who swore off any marineland product years ago LOL

That said, all three of my tanks 180, 90 and 15 are all AGA's. I have a twin-flow 180, Mega-flow 90 and plain old 15 long.