PDA

View Full Version : Moving A Tank

jdunk
03/02/2006, 03:00 PM
Need to take my 55gl down FOWLR down for a few days because of some work being done at my house. Should only be down about 3 days. Have done this before using rubbbermaid garbage cans and been very successful. I am also looking at this as an opportunity to do a massive water change as I have chronic nitrate issues.

My question is how much water should I keep and how much is safe to change?

and

What else should I be wary of during this whole operation?

navajo
03/02/2006, 03:52 PM
If it were me, I'd do about half.

HTH

csb
03/02/2006, 03:59 PM
You could probably get away with 2 large-ish water changes if you time it right ... you could do one change when you transfer to the temporary setup, then another change when you transfer back to the tank. Since you'll be doing large water changes, you should take the extra time to match water params (temp, ph, SG) as close as possible to minimize stress of the fish.

--csb

CeeGee
03/02/2006, 04:16 PM
That is what I thought to..... a few days

my tank has been in a temporary location now for three weeks!

To answer your question though I wouldn't change more than half and I would make sure that matches the tank water params as close as possible.

navajo
03/02/2006, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6866218#post6866218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CeeGee
That is what I thought to..... a few days

my tank has been in a temporary location now for three weeks!

To answer your question though I wouldn't change more than half and I would make sure that matches the tank water params as close as possible.

HAHAHAH Funny isn't it? My "Temp Tank" will have been up for a year next week! :lol: "Life" keeps getting in the way...

One other thing, if you're gonna have to split things up and keep in multiple containers, make sure you have enough heaters and water movement devices (powerheads, whatnot)

mc-cro
03/02/2006, 08:06 PM
Yea, I just got my stuff out it temporary rubbermaids. 2 weeks turned into 9months. You should be safe with about a 50% water change.

OnTheReef
03/03/2006, 02:01 PM
I have some Rubbermaid(tm) tubs for this very purpose. OSH and Target will occasionally carry the very heavy duty ones. If you get the ones that are slick on the inside instead of textured, the suction cups of heaters, powerheads and such will actually stick to the sides. I have a 50-gallon one that I have used for curing live rock, tank moves, etc and it tolerates up to 35 gallons without any visible strain.