PDA

View Full Version : Quick favor to ask

ReeferRyan
03/02/2006, 05:17 PM
I am about to start building a stand for the 125g I am about to get, but I can not come up with a design I like. If it is not too much to ask, could some of you post pics of your stands? My main concern is how to get as much room underneath without sacrificing structural integrity. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

jcatblum
03/02/2006, 05:23 PM
Posting pics isn't my "thing"

Just a recomendation though....Put a door on each end, plus whatever doors you want on the front.

After my hubby finished my stand for my 125 I really wanted doors on the end, just adds more easy storage.

_Sooner_2
03/02/2006, 05:43 PM
Make it tall. Or, at least, taller than stock stands you buy in the store. Tall stands are much easier to work under, and it makes viewing easier.

ReeferRyan
03/02/2006, 05:44 PM
I planned on having a door on each end and two really big ones on the front. The main problem I am trying to solve is that the tank is 18 inches front to back but I need the opening on the end to be at least 16 inches wide so if necessary I can pull my sump out and put it back in without disturbing much around it. So far the only thing I can think of is to use steel supports instead of wood on the corners because steel doesn't have to be anywhere near as wide as wood to have the same amount of strength.

ReeferRyan
03/02/2006, 05:45 PM
I planned on the dimensions of the structural part (not the trim, etc.) being 40" tall, 73" long, and 19" deep.

dugg
03/02/2006, 06:51 PM
Doors on the ends sounds nice, but you will lose a ton of stability doing that. The ends are where the main support is coming from. Here is the only pic i have that you can see the frame, but i can take more if you think they will help you.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46077100_0445.jpg

aquaphile
03/02/2006, 07:53 PM
here's a thought...i thought about doing this but with the 4x4's my sump won't quite fit

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml

ReeferRyan
03/02/2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I really am not sure what I want to do. I know the dimensions of my sump, and I really do not want to have to drop it in from the top because if something goes wrong with it, I have to drain the tank and move it and that is something I really want to avoid. The stand under my 75 right now does not even have corner bracing or framework, the only thing supporting the ends is the oak plywood.

I guess what my question should have been how much support do the corners of the tank need?

MyMonkey
03/02/2006, 08:40 PM
I have tons of pics of stands. I can't post them all. I will email them to you. Just pm me with your email or post it here. I have chosen one allready as my next stand. :)

okiejaco
03/02/2006, 08:55 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/okiejaco/stand.jpg
Here is how I built mine. On the left side, in the back you can see a piece of oak veneer core that will be screwed in after the sump is installed. I will also have one on in the middle and one on the right side as well. It is 60 " long and the doors openings are 20". The sides are 2 pieces of 3/4 oak that are glued and nailed togther. I made it to finish out at 36" and put the bottom shelf so it would sit flat on the floor. I just a little over 34" in the clear for the sump. I hope this is enough room.