PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cal. Or Kalk Drip??

KingSpade
03/02/2006, 09:30 PM
what is a better method of dosing a reef tank with calcium liquid straight into the tank or sump, or dripping Kalkwasser into the sump?? also i waould like a list of all chemicals and supplements that will be necessary for me to have on hand right away. thanx in advance

twon8
03/02/2006, 09:56 PM
you should look in the reef chemistry forum, specifically for Randy's Articles index. a wealth of information and better explained than i could attempt at. but to your question, i use kalk in my top-off water, and you should not add the calcium part unless you know alkalinity is high already. adding just calcium will throw off your chemical balance and really mess up a reef.

twon8
03/02/2006, 09:59 PM
as to chemicals supplements, i have randy's two part and limewater and food for the fish and corals but other than that i don't have any chemicals or supplements and i would advise against any. you need to test alkalinity and calcium. how often is up to you and dependent upon the type of corals you are trying to keep.

steve the plumb
03/02/2006, 10:10 PM
kalk won't raise your calcium.It will maintain it only if you have a low demand tank.If you have a high demand tank kalk alone isn't enough.I find kalk maintains my ph to 8.2-8.3 depends when I look at the probe and when my kalk reactor runs low of kalk.I dose calcium and alkalinity every couple of hours,but thats my tank it needs it.Its cheaper than a calcium reactor and safer.You have to know what you are doing so read before you try and read to see if this method is for you.This method is the cheapest and its safe.