PDA

View Full Version : Hello

kellenm
03/02/2006, 10:09 PM
Pretty new to this, I know I posted awhile back. Anyway now I have a little bit more lighting in my tank so I can really start tackling corals. Just posting to say hi, if you have any questions shoot me a line :).

Kellen

JazzMann2
03/02/2006, 10:19 PM
Moline! Second best place to be from. Second only, of course, to Rock Island!

Oh, and Hello!

Jeff

Horace
03/02/2006, 10:27 PM
I think its better said... If YOU have any questions, shoot us a line :P. Good luck with your setup. If you ever need any advice there are plenty who will help you out.

blooper74
03/03/2006, 10:15 AM
Welcome young padawon learner. Use the reefing force wisely and you will be fine.

LegoZ81
03/03/2006, 12:15 PM
Hello!

kellenm
03/03/2006, 01:45 PM
Well i shouldn't say I'm "new". I've run a 55 gallon freshwater for around 10 years now. As well my nano has been up about 9 months? Not sure exactly. Just recently I installed that 70 watt mh with the actinics pc. Yesterday I had to add some more cooling the splashguard has minor warping, but I haven't noticed anything today.

Water temps are holding at 79 so far, although I do have a thermoelectric cooler I can turn on if I think its getting too high.

I want to let things sit for a few weeks, but if anyone is ever fragging corals I would be interested. My tank needs some serious color since all I have is some gsp.

Anyone know how to get rid of hair algae besides a cleaner crew and water changes. I let my tank sit for a week or so before I restocked it with fish and a cleaner crew and it grew a good amount of hair. I have two pumps for water circulation, lights are on an 8 hour cycle, and I have chaeto in the fuge, 7 hermit crabs and 3 snails, so I don't think it will regrow just want to get rid of it.

kellenm
03/03/2006, 01:56 PM
Oh and hello to the rock islandite. Although I think moline is better ;).

seldon
03/03/2006, 02:04 PM
Hi agian,

The best thing for the hair algae is time. Sounds like you have what you need, just let the chaeto do its job and it will go away. Also, im not sure how much you feed, but you could try cutting back on that.

Seldon

kellenm
03/03/2006, 04:40 PM
I only feed once a day, frozen brine shrimp and being its a nano a very small amount. usually one fifth of a teaspoon. Between the fish and the peppermint shrimp they have it all eaten in under 1 min.

smorrow5773
03/03/2006, 05:06 PM
I used to feed once a day(as much as they would consume), but still fought hair algea. About a month ago, I started thawing food, discarding juices, and only feeding 2-3 times a week. I thought the fish would starve, but they have been holding their own just fine, of course they devour the food at feeding time. The way I see it is, if they eat everyday, they poop alot more, causing more nutrients. My point is, I saw a huge difference in 2 wks time, and now my lawnmower blenny is starting to eat formula2! Once the hair algae receded, I have noticed huge growth of corraline.

brad23
03/03/2006, 08:00 PM
Welcome Newb