PDA

View Full Version : My new RODI unit is HUGE!!

funman1
03/03/2006, 01:56 AM
I just got my new Typhoon III in today and it's frikin big and heavy!!!

They looked so small from the pictures, and what I saw at home depot.

It's a 5 stage RODI 75 GPD

Only problem is that my water pressure here is WAY too high, I shut off the valve at 95 PSI before it could go any higher, casue the unit is only rated at 80 PSI.

Guess I will have to go get a small pressure regulator.
<b>
What's the PSI where you are??
</b>
~Steve~

Marc Daniels
03/03/2006, 02:58 AM
We're at 60 psi.

thereefgeek
03/03/2006, 07:33 AM
We have a pressure regulator on our municipal water line outside where it enters the house. I think it's set at something like 75 psi. At our old place in Orangevale we were about 90!

boviac
03/03/2006, 11:38 PM
My water pressure here pegs (>90) my pressure gauge when I have the bypass for the RO unit closed. But as far as I can tell this provides the best output to brine ratio. When bypass is open pressure drops to around 65-70psi. Keep in mind, I've never actually calibrated my gauge but generaly they have an error margin of 5%.

boviac
03/04/2006, 03:47 PM
Opps forgot I got a new pressure gauge. This one actually only goes up to 60psi on the gauge face. So instead it pegs >60 psi and idles in bypass mode around 45-50 psi. So my water pressure is somewhere around 70-80 psi by my estimates.

My apologies.

Chris

funman1
03/04/2006, 10:48 PM
yeah in bypass mode the pressure is ony 50 PSI but wastes TONS of water like that. When I close them it peaks over 100 which acording to AWI will damadge the RO membrane. They say peak for the unit is 75.

I just bought a regulator off ebay though that looks great and its small
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6000620831&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

boviac
03/05/2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, bypass to my knowledge is only supposed to be used for startup, shutdown, and about every to every other hour for about 20-40 secs to blow off any accumulated particles on the outer portion of the membrane thereby increasing performance and membrane life. Since my pressure gauge pegs during normal ops I used that as a reference to my operating pressure. Apparently the 'bypass' is supposed to be sized for the RO membrane and the expected water pressure. Temp of the water and membrane play a part in efficiency as well.

As it is the RO unit 'wastes' upwards of 3 gal brine to every 1 gal pure it produces. From what I understand, you can reduce waste by adding a particular pump that allows the unit to operate more efficently if ran more often. I attach mine to a hose about every two weeks to a month and make enough water for make-up and changes. Then I leave it idle until more is needed.

Oh how I long to have a house where I can have a dedicated fish room. How luck you people who have them are!!!;)

boviac
03/05/2006, 03:56 PM
Also when I lived up north in Chico I was within 500 yds of a pump station. My pressure there was around 90 psi. I ran mine there for over a year with no problems.

I too would recommend a presure regulator but if not operate at your own risk. I know the screw-on vessels can handle up to 100psi... now as for your RO membrane... that is probably the weak link.

Chris

funman1
03/05/2006, 08:37 PM
yeah I will put the reg on when it comes..
although we are moving in two weeks and I don't know what the water pressure is there yet.