PDA

View Full Version : Pump needed.

MyMonkey
03/03/2006, 04:27 PM
I need a pump. I think a Mag 7 will suffice. I have a 600 GPH overflow. Otherwise, maybe a Mag 9 or anything equivalent. Anyone need to rid themselves of such a product? Thanks.

Travis L. Stevens
03/03/2006, 04:42 PM
Do you have a pump on there now?

MyMonkey
03/04/2006, 09:52 AM
I have no pumps whatsoever. I actually need 2 pumps, maybe 3. I don't use an overflow but I have one available. I would like to hook up the overflow with just a 20 gallon sump below. I will move the skimmer down there and add an underwater pump. I suppose I need another pump that can be used to pump water when I do a water change. Mag 2 or 3 I suppose will suffice. Once I upgrade to the 90 gallon and build the stand, canopy etc... :) Then I will just use the same pump and divide the Sump into compartments. Sound ok?

Travis L. Stevens
03/06/2006, 08:24 AM
What type of skimmer do you have? Also, you can use a preexisting powerhead to do a water change with. MJ1200s do a fine job for it. It used to be a return pump on my 10g mollie tank. It was pushing about three feet up with a surprising amount of flow. A MJ1200 maxes out at about 6 ft up in a vinyl tube that fits over the outlet (1/2" I think...). Basically, all I'm saying is that if you add your return pump, you can take out a powerhead to use for waterchanges. And as long as your skimmer already has a pump, you should be fine there, too.

Just trying to save you a buck or two. ;)

MyMonkey
03/06/2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Travis. I use the Remora Skimmer. It has an MJ1200 as a pump on it. Although, I will be upgrading that sometime in the future. I can pick up a MJ 1200 for water changes. I figure it will be easier after I add a sump. I guess I only need a return pump. I suppose I will pick up a Mag 7. Locally I hope, unless there is a huge descrepancy in pricing. Support the LFS! Woohoo...