PDA

View Full Version : Observations after using Joe's Juice

slojmn
03/03/2006, 07:24 PM
I decided to try Joe's Juice last Saturday to get rid of 5-6 aitasia that came in on a sps frag. I fried 4 aiptasia per the instructions on the Joe's Juice. I shut down all current in the tank. After about 20 minutes I tried to suck out the remains with little to no luck. The aiptasia appeared very dead and non responsive, kind of melted. By Wednesday I noticed 4-5 small aiptasia in place of the 1 aiptasia I fried. Today I checked the other spots and found 4-5 small tiny aiptasia in place of the one aiptasia I fried in that spot. So I am now up around 18 aiptasia:mad2:

Anyone else have this experience? I read about Joe's Juice and felt there were a lot of success stories. Did I do something wrong? I really wish I could have sucked out each aiptasia after frying it. I feel like this is where things went wrong somehow. Needless to say I am bummed out about this:(

xdusty6920
03/03/2006, 07:30 PM
yeah im there with ya. ive used joes juice several times and found it to be pretty useless. it does in fact melt them and "kill them" but within days reguardless more still return in the same spot

TrojanScott
03/03/2006, 08:15 PM
I've had better luck with boiling water. It basically melts them down to nothing at all.

Might wanna give it a try, and it's cheaper too. :)

fishonadic
03/03/2006, 08:19 PM
I have a problem in the making and was wondering how you do the boiling water tecnique, are there any others??

TrojanScott
03/03/2006, 11:41 PM
Just take some RO water, or tank water, doesn't matter, put it in a small pan, (not a lot, a cup at the most) and boil it. Takes 2 minutes.

Put it in the same syringe you use for the Joe's Juice, and blast 'em. Melts them right away.

Peppermint shrimp are another option, although they didn't do the job for me.

WorldNation
03/03/2006, 11:43 PM
peppermints are usually jsut good on the small ones. if the aptaisa's too big, they wont eat'em

RamPuppy
03/03/2006, 11:46 PM
http://www.berghia.net/

supertech3
03/04/2006, 12:19 AM
Well there was no where in the instructions stating to remove the remains of the aiptasia. You need to dose it and let it set there to fully kill it. You just move the remains in your tank and now have more. When you dose it if it comes back hit it with another dose and that will probably take it out ( it worked for me no aiptasias in my tank since treating 3 months ago)

nemofish2217
03/04/2006, 01:03 AM
joe's juice has worked fine for me... give em a good blast, and they are gone... i have never had any problems...

Alaskan Reefer
03/04/2006, 03:24 AM
Same as nemofish, but I did add peppermints to finish off the tiny ones.

fishonadic
03/04/2006, 07:10 AM
thanks Ill try that later and if it dosent work Ill go to joes juice

SunnyX
03/04/2006, 08:56 AM
Ive tried it all and the only thing that worked for me was a Copperband Butterfly fish. This guy destroyed all the aptasia I had.

On a side note, heres how to make a solution stronger and better than Joes Juice-

2 Tablespoons RO/DI water
1 Teaspoon Kalk

Put it in a microwave for 45 sec.

It simple and costs almost nothing to make.
Works much better than joe's juice.

slojmn
03/04/2006, 02:33 PM
Sunnyx, Thanks for the recipe. I'll try that. I had a Copperbanded in my old tank for years and he made short order of the aiptasia, one of the coolest fish :). I have one on hold, it just came in and I want to see how it does with taking prepared foods and surviving over the next 2 weeks at the lfs.

supertech3, I do know that there are no instructions to remove remains but when I researched the product on the forum here a number of people suggested removing the remains. I don't think I spread the remains, I used a magnifying glass while trying to remove them and never saw parts leaving the vicinity, though I suppose it could have happened. There was one spot I could not remove the aiptasia due to an inability to get my syringe in that positioning, today there are 6 baby aiptasia in that spot. Just my own experience. I bought it to try and give it a shot due to good reviews when I researched it. For me it did not seem to work.

dicjones
03/04/2006, 03:22 PM
I was new to the hobby when I had my aiptasia, so at first I thought they were "good" hitchikers....until there were about 30 of them in the tank!!!! I tried Joe's Juice and they all came back... Got two peppermint shrimp and within a month or so the aiptasia was gone and never returned!