lachrimae
03/03/2006, 08:04 PM
Next thing you know he'll have a rebel flag & carry a shotgun...:uzi:

LOTUS50GOD
03/03/2006, 08:06 PM
Most tangs are omnivores.... My sohol loves squid and other meatty stuff

The Reefer91
03/03/2006, 08:07 PM
just cause he eats it doesn't mean it's good for him. they don't normally have much meat in their diet, so try and avoid it getting it. especially if it's beefheart or any other food like that. ocasional clams, squid, shrimp aren't bad for them, in fact, that with seaweed would be great. just don't feed it only that. and NO beef heart.

unless of course you already know this, in which i case i'd feel stupid :p

SDguy
03/03/2006, 08:13 PM
Depends on the species also....blue tangs eat more meat than others, as do other pelagic species.

lachrimae
03/03/2006, 08:34 PM
It's a Sailfin (Zebrasoma veliferum) and the food was Mysis. Thanks for the tip on beef heart.

I've seen it pass the mysis by in the past but it ate several portions today, despite having nori available as well as a daily cube of Emerald Entree which the entire tank seems to love.

sean48183
03/03/2006, 08:51 PM
I have a fat sailfin that I got at about3" and he is now about 6" and he will eat as much as I put in the tank. I mean I could literally stand there and dump food in all day and think he would eat every bite. I feed him mostly 24 hour seaweed selects everyday but I do mix in flake, emerald entree, squid and angel formula. Try to give the seaweed everyday and he will literally grow in front of your eyes.

stewie24
03/04/2006, 12:30 AM
My yellow tang goes nuts over mysis and cyclopeeze.. He's actually a VERY shy fish, but when the mysis or cyclopeeze gets dropped in the tank - watch out! LOL.. I've actually held a chunk of cyclopeeze in the tank, and on one side of my hand was my clownfish eating it out of my hand, and on the other, the yellow tang was gobbling it up.
So yeah, tangs can eat meat! :D
Stewie

Fuegofish777
03/04/2006, 12:54 AM
both my tangs eat meat. my bristletooth took a while before it would eat the mysis though. meaty foods still shouldnt be their staple diet, but mine have certainly gotten fatter since they started.

XeniaMania
03/04/2006, 12:56 AM
LOL

Project Reef
03/04/2006, 02:26 AM
I think given the circumstances, I would say tangs we keep in our aquariums SHOULD be fed meat (along with other foods of course), to help try and keep up with their insane caloric requirements.

11fishes
03/04/2006, 03:06 AM
my dory eats meat also