PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty with Ick?!?!?!

FxdupCobra
03/03/2006, 08:33 PM
Well it happened again, I bought my GF a coral beauty and it looked fine at the LFS and now I see signs of ick. The good news is that he is in a q-tank. I used a sponge from her main tank and the Amn is at .25 and the Nitrite is at 0. I want to use Cupramine but I am wondering if I use that will it destray the Biological filter that has been established in that sponge?

Also, he is not eating??? I have tried Pellets and Angel formula. What else can I try that he would eat (mysis, squid, formula 1)?

Thanks in Advance!

leebca
03/04/2006, 10:42 AM
You've become a 'regular' here, FxdupCobra! :D Welcome back.

For foods, this reference might give you the grounds to get those answers:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228

Entice it with live foods if necessary. Try also chopped flesh, especially scallop. Prepare the chopped scallop as I described here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=769435

Cupramine is very gentle on organisms. Your biological filter may slow down or temporarily stop, but it will not be killed off by Cupramine. It usually takes those bacteria a bit of time to adjust to the copper compounds. Between it not working and working properly you will need to do daily or twice-daily water changes, or use a chemical filter that doesn't interfere with the copper treatment.

I'm glad to see you are using a quarantine system. Hope you are using it correctly. Remember: if you use any copper treatment, you need to monitor the copper concentration using a test kit recommended by the medication manufacturer. In this case, Cupramine is made by Seachem and Seachem has a copper test kit you should be using during treatment.

FxdupCobra
03/04/2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks Lee. I have the seachem copper and the seachem tester. I will for sure follow the food recommendations. What do you mean by a chemical filter, if you can enlighten me more on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!

leebca
03/04/2006, 09:23 PM
I try to avoid 'advertising' but the fact is, some of my LFSs are now using a product quite successfully. I have bought and used it myself and find it surprisingly successful. Before anyone jumps to the conclusion I work for or get compensation for writing this, let me assure I don't. :D

The product is Algone. It comes sealed in its own pounch (two different sizes). It turns out that Algone still functions AND doesn't interfere with a very long list of fish medications, including copper.

FxdupCobra
03/05/2006, 06:56 PM
Wow, Thanks Lee. Let me ask you a question, does this take the place of the sponge, the carbon or does it just get added into the Hagen/Aqua Clear filter?

leebca
03/05/2006, 08:11 PM
I'm not familiar with that filter.

The product is preferably located in a flow, so water flows through and around it. However, I have seen it put in LFS tanks, rubberbanded to a rock or piece of coral to keep it submerged. I never tried that.

My QT is long (72") and I place the sacs in the notches between chambers so water flows through it slowly. That works for me. Putting in a cannister type or other filter should work so long as water flows through/around it.

It doesn't take the place of any other filtration you've got going. Use it in addition. But if you are treating the tank with medications, you'll obviously remove the carbon and maybe some other water treatment you've got going, BUT you can keep using this product.

Use the sponge for as long as the bacteria will help. Don't overlook their contribution nor their making adjustments during the QT process.

FxdupCobra
03/05/2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, very good I will do just that thank you. Is this similair to chemzorb? And if I do this in the future do I still need to cycle the Q-tank or can i just add this in?

leebca
03/06/2006, 08:39 AM
Truthfully, I'm unsure how it does what it does. Knowing this hobby, it is probably something stupid, like clay! :D

I would use this in conjunction with, not as a replacement for, any other QT equipment or process (including cycling). That is, continue to cycle and prepare your QT as you normally do.

Some more info on it:
http://www.algone.com/directions.htm

FxdupCobra
03/06/2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the information. Is this something I would use in my display cause I have heard never to add anything to the display tank?

leebca
03/06/2006, 02:10 PM
I've never used it in my display tanks. The manufacturer claims it is reef safe and can perform some other functions, other than ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate control.

I'm unsure what you mean when you say, ". . .never to add anything to the display tank." Not even fish? coral? rock? :D

I've only used it in my QT. LFSs use them in their display tanks for fish.

FxdupCobra
03/06/2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks a lot Leebca, you are always very knowledgeable. I will definitely look into this product more and give it a try.

Thanks again!:D