PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted

brwn_id_girl
03/03/2006, 09:22 PM
I am fixing to spend alot of money on a few new items for my new 90 gal and always open to listening to peolpe who have more knowledge than me.
PUMPS i want an iwaki 30 w/1" in & out whats the diference in buying and American made verse Japenese made. Is one better than the other.
PLUMBING i'll be running new plumbing in my new 90 gal drilled tank Is there a different kind of glue that i'm supposed to use thats different from regular PVC cleaner & cement.
RO WATER i purchased a new used 2 month old Kent marine RO unit for a sweeet price but WOW is it slow and alot of waste water i dont think it works right. so i got what i paid for ha ha.
should i just buy a larger unit or buy my water. And is there a difference between RO and like spring water.
Thank you for any input.

PatMayo
03/03/2006, 09:31 PM
[welcome]

Typically you will get 4 or 5 gallons of waste water for every good gallon you get. The colder the water is the more waste you will get. So if you have good filters in the unit and the membrane is less than 3 years old, it probably is working right. You need to get a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) and you will be able to test the water.

You probably want to use silicone to seal the fitting in the tank. Others will have better info for you regarding that.

Regards,

Pat

Have you checked out these threads? You probably should you will get tons of information and will save youself some headaches.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166836

Regards,

Pat

bertoni
03/03/2006, 09:33 PM
I use regular PVC primer and cement for my plumbing, the kind for water lines. That works well. I wouldn't trust silicone for PVC joints.

piranhaking
03/03/2006, 10:51 PM
in my experience silicone doesnt bond well to pvc. It is one of the few things i have found that it doesnt bond well with. I dont know what would be the best option though.

mg426
03/03/2006, 11:03 PM
if you are using PVC or CPVC it is usually printed on the pipe. Just buy whatever cemet you need. they are in all of the hardware stores and pretty clearly marked.