PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank filter

kingtoad
03/04/2006, 01:10 AM
Hi,
Last week I setup a quarantine tank because my main tank had Ich. I bought a filter which has thus far done a decent job but I do not think it will for much longer. I am wondering if you could suggest some filters that are great for quarantine tanks. I heard bio wheels give your water nitrates, I think I should avoid filters with bio wheels for that reason. What would you suggest?

Thnx.

mikenpam
03/04/2006, 01:30 AM
I use a standard HOB filter on my QT. It has been working fine for me. I do change out water on a regular basis. My nitrate levels never went too high. I have read of many who just use a sponge filter which they return to their sump when their QT is not being used. Returning it to the sump keeps the bacteria working in the sponge and it is then ready to be installed right away if they have to set-up QT again.

Jasonanatal
03/04/2006, 05:11 AM
Kingtoad, I personally have used a Bio-wheel in my 10 gallon QT tank. I personally have never had an issue with Nitrates and water quality with these type of filters. I actually would recommend them. But to each their own.

No Worries1979
03/04/2006, 08:03 AM
Do you need to replace your biowheels occasionally like carbon?

PatMayo
03/04/2006, 11:04 AM
No, you will lose the bacteria, it takes quite some time to build it up.
People use them for years without replacement.

Regards,

Pat

LouieRocco
03/04/2006, 11:37 AM
I use a HOB bio wheel filter for my qt tank as well, but if you use copper you don't want activated carbon since it removes the medicine. So I took the plain filter pad and cut the plastic grate part and took out all the carbon so it still has mechanical filtration. Do this with frequent large water changes and it has worked great for me

Waxxiemann
03/04/2006, 12:22 PM
mikenpam,

Can't you just leave your QT running all the time?

PS- I'm a NOOB!!!

Thanks,
Waxx

kingtoad
03/05/2006, 01:22 AM
So, Bio Wheels don't increase nitrates?

Jasonanatal
03/08/2006, 10:44 AM
Kingtoad, eventually the Biowheel will outlive its purpose just as filter media will and your water quality will go from crystal to mud. You just have to monitor and make the appropriate adjustments. I personally have had my biowheels going since August of last year and the only thing that decreased my water quality was the filter media needing to be changed every 4 months.

mikenpam
03/09/2006, 12:33 AM
Yes you can leave it running all the time. My hope is that after I am fully stocked that I can pack the QT away and enjoy.

old salty
03/09/2006, 06:38 AM
I use a HOB filter (Whisper 40) and change the cartridge every week. I also use Eheim biofilter media in a mesh bag. I leave it in the sump for a week or more, then transfer it to the QT the day before adding any fish. This stuff gets disinfected prior to reusing it to prevent any unwanted parasites from infecting the fish.

I do water changes about twice a week to assist with keeping nitrates low (as well as ammonia and nitrite.)

reverendmaynard
03/09/2006, 07:33 AM
There should be no concerns with nitrates in a QT tank. Water changes should be frequent, and the fish generally are not in there long enough to accumulate significant nitrates. Also, a properly setup QT tank should not have any LR or sand, so there isn't going to be any denitirification anyway. Whatever biofilter you use will create nitrates, there's no way around it.

As to keeping it running, it is not recommended. First of all, the temptation is there to use it for something else, like a grow-out tank. Second, unless you keep a fish in there all the time, or feed the tank in some manner, the biofilter is not going to be ready for fish when you need it. Putting your QT filter in your sump is the best way to keep the biofilter active, because there are always wastes to process.

steelpat
03/09/2006, 10:19 AM
I kept a 20g QT tank, and it worked great for the little nemos and chromis. I then went to a yellow tang and ammonia shot through the roof. I tried to remove it (the ammonia, that is) using filter pads, etc. The fish didn't make it, though.

Maybe the fish wasn't healthy and I didn't want it in my main tank anyhow, but maybe the ammonia spike killed it.

The thing is, you don't want any ammonia spikes in a tank with a stressed-out new fish.

I don't know how you can prevent this, though I now keep the sponge part of the Hang-on in my sump. Maybe you just keep the tank running and "feed it" on occasion to keep the bacteria happy and at high-enough levels to support a larger fish. Maybe keeping the sponge in my sump is enough (I havent tested it yet).