PDA

View Full Version : Something on my lil' regal angel's eye...

elekamit
03/04/2006, 02:01 PM
Hi y'all, I have had my regal angel for about a month-2 months...

He is the king of the tank, eating every from dry to frozen foods.

he is clean from all disease except from something he has had on his eyes from the day i brought him!

here is a pic:

http://www.reef-center-host.com/pix/albums/userpics/10059/IMG_1450_resize.jpg

I do water changes every week and water quality is great, everything in bloom, this just concerns me.

TerryB
03/04/2006, 02:15 PM
Do you see this on both eyes or just one? Netting often causes injury to the eye. Has the fish been netted recently? If not then it may be a parastie attached to the eye. Depending on the type of parasite you could have success with a FW dip or a formalin dip. If you use a FW dip, be careful to match the pH and temperature. If you use formalin be sure to watch the fish the entire time and keep the dip aerated. You can catch and move the fish to a dip by catching it in a large, clear plastic bag or a specimen container. Fish do not see clear plastic bags in the water very well. Try not to catch the fish in a net and avoid taking it out of the water when you can.

Terry B

elekamit
03/04/2006, 02:23 PM
well, I would really prefer no to do so...
as you can see this is a regal angel and they are known for their delicacy.

After having him acclimated to his new home i don't really want to remove him..., i'm afraid he will get stressed and stop eating.
isn't there an other way?

TerryB
03/04/2006, 04:16 PM
I will have to think about that. The best method is a dip. You can't use a medication in the water of your tank. The only alternative is to add an antiparasitic medication to the food. However, this is usually not effective against external parasites. Does your tank contain live rock, live sand or inverts? If that is a parasite attached to the eye then that is stressful to the fish. Is it just on one eye or both?

Terry B

elekamit
03/04/2006, 04:43 PM
Well I do have live rock, corals and iverts, it is a reef tank.

my lights are out right now so about if it is 1 eye or both I will have to check tomorrow.
what does it matter if it is on both or only 1?

TerryB
03/04/2006, 05:30 PM
Yes, it could help determine if the fish has eye parasites or if you are just seeing something natural.

Terry B