PDA

View Full Version : Question number one -- what eats little worms and pods?

six.line
03/04/2006, 03:31 PM
I have a 15 gallon nano with no fish. It has little frags of softies that some friends gave me and I couldn't say no to them. Coupla crabs, snails and a cleaner shrimp. Everything seems fine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, 0, ph = 8.2, temp 78, spec grav 1.022.

My friend has a damsel (and I'm well aware of the pros and cons of damsels) and I've heard that some damsels like to munch on pods and worms.

The worms I'm talking about are these little flat brown guys with a little red spot on one end. (No digital camera, sorry. :) )

Anyone know if the damsel will munch on them?

I've also heard a six line wrasse will make a meal out of pods and worms, is this correct?

bertoni
03/04/2006, 03:36 PM
A lot depends on the kind of flatworm that's in the tank. A search on Convolutriloba retrogemma might be useful. I'm not sure I'd put a six-line or a damsel in that small a tank. Maybe a neon goby or two, or perhaps a percula or ocellaris clown.

six.line
03/04/2006, 03:41 PM
Would any of these fish help eat the worms?

(concurrently searching convolutriloba retrogemma on google)

six.line
03/04/2006, 03:42 PM
oooh

images.google.com on convolutiloba retrogemma yielded this image:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WormPIX/FlatwormPIX/flatworm_city_id.JPG

and that's EXACTLY what those little buggers look like! They're everywhere!

bertoni
03/04/2006, 05:28 PM
There's no useful animal that reliably eats them. Flatworm eXit is what I used to get rid of them, although it requires care and has some risk.