PDA

View Full Version : 10 gal nano questions???

creep
03/04/2006, 04:23 PM
I am thinking of starting a 10 gallon nano out of a spare tank i have. I want it to be a reef tank. I was wondering a few things though.

Would 72 watts of 50/50 PC light be enough to keep anything i want in there?
I was thinking of having a sump underneath it. What would be the chepest way to have water drain to the sump?
what powerheads would i use to maintain the correct flow?
how often and how much water should i change for water changes?
And the last one for now is, what kind of clean up crew should i keep

I currently have a 40 gal saltwater FOWLR tank, and want to make a reef tank, but don't have the money to do it on a larger scale. Nano's have always looked incredible to me, so i thought i would try my hand in one.

Mikeeal
03/04/2006, 05:16 PM
1. You will be able to keep many types of corals, but not everything.

2. Drill the tank near the top, put in a bulkhead and strainer.

3. I love MJ's.

4. I change 25% weekly.

5. I keep mexican turbo snails, blue leg hermit crabs and nassarius snails.

creep
03/04/2006, 05:25 PM
thanks for the reply, but now i have even more questions. what types of corals should i stay away from. I'm realatively new to corals, so i dont know which ones require more lighting. Also would i be able to keep a clam?

Mikeeal
03/04/2006, 06:18 PM
I'd stick with soft corals, mushrooms, zoanthids. No clams.

rsteagall
03/04/2006, 09:36 PM
Just the thread I was looking for tonight!

I'm kind of in a predicament where I need to get a 10 gal ready asap because someone in my area is giving away a mantis and I'm going to pick it up.

What light would be a good one to get for such a tank? A few suggestions and links would be nice.

Thanks!

Jeepman3sk
03/05/2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53101

This is what I have on my tank. It has been working great for me. Just make sure if you get it to get the legs for it.

Limi310
03/06/2006, 06:02 PM
I have that same 96watt light on my 10gal too. I would definitely recommend getting the legs.

Agu
03/06/2006, 09:15 PM
Creep,

take a look at my website for pics of a drilled ten gallon and diy sump.

Rsteagall,

The mantis doesn't need special lighting. Unless you want coral a regular fluoro is adequate.