PDA

View Full Version : Percula help

markywmson
03/04/2006, 04:46 PM
Hi all

I imagine that i'm overanalyzing the situation, but I got 2 small true perculas (I'm pretty sure they were wild caught.) I got them from Aqua Dreams Tuesday and acclimated them and they both seemed fine and happy that night. The next day the smaller of the 2 seemed to be a little shyer and started hiding down in the back of the rocks. It doesn't seem to want to come up and eat when the other ones do. Other fish are 2 small green chromis and the other percula. This morning when the lights came on, it kind of looked like there was a little red mark on the front of his lower jaw.

Is this whole behavior something that I should be concerned about? Or am I worrying too much, and it's just trying to get used to a tank?

Any replies and suggestions would be great! Sorry for the novel.... ;)

-Mark

fishieness
03/04/2006, 04:49 PM
how did you aclimate it? are any fish picking on it at all? do you have any inverts?
the red marks sound like it could be either it hit something or was bitten/beaten up, or it could be a bacterial infection that owuld come on from stress.
what are you water levels?

mr pink floyd
03/04/2006, 04:58 PM
mine do that sometimes, give him time

fishieness
03/04/2006, 05:00 PM
true. it is a new fish. it is likely that something jsut stressed him out so he is takign longer to acclimate. but still awnser my questions jsut to be safe please;)

markywmson
03/04/2006, 05:11 PM
i acclimated the 2 percs in different containers using slow drip over like a 2 hour span. the other one is super active and having a grand old time.
it doesn't appear that the other fish are picking on it. the 2 percs kind of hang out together, but the one that i'm worried about seems timid around the other. but i haven't actually seen any other fish picking on it.
the only inverts i have are some blue and scarlet hermits, and some snails. there's one fairly large blue, but other than that they're all small.

the red mark i was worried about maybe he was running into the side of the tank or something. thanks... again, i'm sure i'm just overreacting. i just really want to get him eating on a regular basis.

markywmson
03/09/2006, 09:03 PM
Just an update (not that anyone was watching this...) but one of my percs is now passed on :( . The weird thing is that it wasn't the one that I was asking/concerned about. And this one crashed hard. He was fine at like 10:30p, and by 2:30a he was gone. I have no idea what could have caused this.

Anyways, I think I'm just going to keep what I have fish-wise for the time being and make sure that nothing develops over the next few months.

rrome
03/10/2006, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear that dude...

My small algae bleeny has mysteriously dissapeared over the last 3 days am I fear the worst...

good one
03/10/2006, 02:58 PM
that is tough. i had three bartlett anthias and one was ill and not eating at all and then the other one (dominate) was fat and healthy. a week or so later the healthy one died and the skinny unhealthy one continued to live for another year???? Crazy right?? one of my perculas has recently just stopped swimming. it just sits at the bottom and lays in the wellsyphylia (spelling??). only swims when i feed them

rrome
03/10/2006, 07:08 PM
Well, I think that means it's happy and is treating it as a guest anemone :-)

My skunk clown settled into some clumps of hair algae after his anemone died