PDA

View Full Version : Reef Ready Oceanic Help

rdonchann
03/04/2006, 11:34 PM
Anybody familiar with Oceanic's setup? The overflow noise isn't too bad, but the gurgling, surging that is going on down in the sump has to stop. I have raised and lowered the standpipe every way but loose. There has to be a solution or something that I am missing. Surely they don't sell something that works this lousy.

pwhitby
03/05/2006, 12:08 AM
You need to add a durso or stockman fitting to your overflow.

They are very easy to do....do a google search for them, if you cant get the answers you need I will post more.

Paul.

pwhitby
03/05/2006, 12:10 AM
here you go:

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

very easy to build and almost silent
P.

pwhitby
03/05/2006, 12:11 AM
and the stockman version....
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm
both work equally well.

P.

_Sooner_2
03/05/2006, 12:42 AM
I had a lot of noise in my Oceanic sump at first. I solved it by placing the drain tube into the water in the sump. No media box, no drip tray...just water draining below the surface in the sump. I reduced the noise a little bit more by placing a rock directly below the drain tube. I also use a Durso in the over flow, so what noise I have is mostly from the skimmer.

Ronnie

rdonchann
03/05/2006, 12:46 AM
Is one any better than the other? I just can't believe this thing that comes with Oceanic. It looks a lot like the Durso.

2ras
03/05/2006, 11:56 AM
I can recommend the durso pipe assembly in Paul’s first link. Paul setup my return in my overflow boxes. It works great & is quiet.

Another great tip, don't glue to durso pipe to the bulkhead. If you ever get a fish in your overflow, removing the durso pipe will greatly aid in fish retrieval.

Ray

rdonchann
03/05/2006, 12:45 PM
The Durso pipe helped a lot. Then I installed a bushing in the end of the discharge hose to slow the flow a little and that fixed it.

Anybody have any tricks for quietening the trickle over the overflow?

pwhitby
03/05/2006, 01:07 PM
raise the height of the durso so that the water doesnt fall to far

rdonchann
03/05/2006, 02:34 PM
I guess if that is not enough I can cut another pipe and add an inch or so to it.

pwhitby
03/05/2006, 05:56 PM
yep. thats the easiest bet.

Paul.

rdonchann
03/05/2006, 07:34 PM
That was easy enough! When the answers are easy it makes me feel dumb. When nobody has a good answer that is frustrating too. You guys are an asset!
Thanks

MyMonkey
03/06/2006, 08:49 AM
What do you think of the Oceanic tank? I am debating between an AGA and Oceanic in 90 gallon now. Not sure about the AGA. I have an oceanic now and the glass is nice and thick.

rdonchann
03/06/2006, 09:12 AM
I don't find any flaws with it. Oceanic is all I have ever owned so I really don't have anything to compare to. The way I figure it, if it works don't fix it. Central Pets owns them all anyway. Some say they are made on the same line. I don't see myself being a Perfecto fan they just give me the Wal-Mart impression.