PDA

View Full Version : what to do with l.r. that has quickly multiplying bubble algae?(just 2 pieces)

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/05/2006, 11:45 AM
I can remove the 2 large pieces that have it, BUT i don't know if wire brushing it off and rinsing is enough to keep it from growing back? Or should i just toss the rocks?(they are large nice pieces though :()
*worst part is i bought these 2 pieces from asomeone tearing down their tank and i thought i had cleaned it well enough....but obviously NOT!

DJ88©
03/05/2006, 01:01 PM
[moved]

Alaskan Reefer
03/05/2006, 01:37 PM
Emerald crabs will eat it, but they can get large and start everything else. Either remove rocks and scrub the valonia off, or add an emerald that you will someday want to catch and banish to the sump / fuge. Don't ditch the rocks! At the very worst, you could remove the two offending pieces and cook them in a bucket for a few weeks.

SDguy
03/05/2006, 01:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6886107#post6886107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DJ88
<i>This thread has been moved to the current forum.</i>
Valonia? Removing the intact spheres tends to work best. Scrubing (and therefore popping) the algae helps it spread, IME. Tossing rock is a shame. Keep the pieces in the sump for a while. Remove any new spheres periodically. Eventually, you should win the fight...assuming your husbandry is also good, lowering nutrient levels.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/05/2006, 04:04 PM
PO4 just tested - 0
All other params steady and ideal for a long time. The "Bubble Algae" came in on these 2 pieces from another guys system, none on existing rocks.

SDguy....if i scrub them in buckets of RO/DI out of tank and then rinse ion a different bucket of RO/DI....will it still spread? I know to pick as many as i can off intact, but if this process is done in seperate buckets out of tank, i would think it wouldn't spread??

thanks - matt

SERVO
03/05/2006, 09:24 PM
I had a horrible infestation of velonia that I would pick out hours and hours at a time in a losing battle. I tried 10 emerald crabs without any luck. Finally, I got a sailfin tang and 2 orange shoulder tangs and I no longer see ANY velonia. If you lived near me, you could but the rocks in my tank for a week and it would be gone. I bet that if you have started to manually pick off the velonia, it will no longer be stuck to 2 pieces of LR. :mad:

I hear that some Rabbit fish will tear them apart.
Good luck,

JerseyReef
03/05/2006, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6885636#post6885636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
I can remove the 2 large pieces that have it, BUT i don't know if wire brushing it off and rinsing is enough to keep it from growing back? Or should i just toss the rocks?(they are large nice pieces though :()
*worst part is i bought these 2 pieces from asomeone tearing down their tank and i thought i had cleaned it well enough....but obviously NOT!

If you can, I'd place them into a quarantine system, which should always be done prior to adding anything into an established system.

Let the rocks ride it out in the quarantine system and treat as needed.