PDA

View Full Version : Switching out Calc Reactor Media

SERVO
03/05/2006, 02:22 PM
OK,

SO I was wondering, when you guys switch out your reactor media, do you just replace with new media (quick and lazy), or do you dispose of the "mud" and completely replace the media?

I have always completely replaced all of the media but with a new baby, I am so damn busy that I am really tempted to just "top off" any advice from you guys/gals?:confused:

pepe.king.prawn
03/05/2006, 05:26 PM
kalk reactor or calcium reactor? A Kalk reactor might be good to clean out periodically to try and keep the precipitate mostly calcium hydroxide. I've never seen sludge in a calcium reactor, but it there's something that doesn't dissolve, it's probably not a bad idea to clean that out either. I run coral skeletons in my reactor and add as needed, never cleaned it out. Hope this helps.

Gools
03/05/2006, 06:32 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Little guy gives me no time for my tank. If I'm running low on media, I top off. But when I do get the opportunity I dump, and wash out all the sludge. And replace with new media

deansreef
03/05/2006, 06:48 PM
i just top off unless the media looks mushy

Lunchbucket
03/05/2006, 08:07 PM
i don't use ARM anymore. i use the Schuran "knock off" style media (from PA) and never have to worry about mud again :D switch medias and then just top off...mo more mud problems

Lunchbucket

SERVO
03/06/2006, 11:50 PM
Hey Lunchmeister,

Isn't there phosphates in that? Too low to detect?

Well thanks for the info. I have started to learn not to be so OCD. I topped of the media. When I burn thru this, I'll probably take the time to dump out the mud.

Thanks again!:cool:

Lunchbucket
03/07/2006, 05:19 AM
not sure about "too low to detect" i'm sure it has some po4. i tested w/ my salifer kit (not the best for PO4) and got 0.0-0.03ppm out of the effluent. i should take a sample to my buddy w/ a colorimeter

Lunchbucket