PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Algae Control

bbfatty49
03/05/2006, 02:50 PM
i need help with an algae that has been taking over my tank. it is a dark green that almost forms a bush. i dont know how to control it.
ive tried phospate pads, resins, lawnmower blenny, dwarf sea hare, emerald mythrax crabs, scarlet hermits, and turbo snails

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/521/110519onyx2.jpg
you can barely see it on this picture but it covering the rocks now. this pic was 2 weeks ago and the green algae is everywhere. i dont think it is hair algae but im not sure?

theevoys
03/05/2006, 04:24 PM
How often, how much do you feed?
How many fish are in your tank? What sizes are they?
Do you have a skimmer? Is it a good one?
How often do you do water changes?
How many of the animals that you listed are still alive?

bbfatty49
03/05/2006, 04:43 PM
i feed twice a day: once with flake and once with brine or mysis mixed with garlic extreme and vitachem

three fish as of now: 2-1" black onyx perculas, and 1- 3" Diamond Goby

I do not have a skimmer because i have no room

i do a 25% water change every 2 weeks

only the lawnmower blenny died due to it not eating and acclimating very well. also some of the smaller snails and hermits have died over time.

PatMayo
03/05/2006, 04:43 PM
Addationally what type of lights are you running and for how long per day?

Regards,

Pat

toothman
03/05/2006, 05:45 PM
great suggestions. How about a yellow tank they are truly lawn mowers.

bbfatty49
03/05/2006, 06:00 PM
I have an orbit PC
65w: 10,000K for 8 hours
65w: actinic for 12.5 hours

Serioussnaps
03/05/2006, 10:24 PM
Watch the feeding. Kick the garlic unless you are acclimating a finicky eater, its full of nutrients that fuels this algae. SKIMMER???????? Let me guess you have a crap skimmer or none at all? Try 15% weekly water changes. Do you have a refugium witha DSB. Astrea snails and turbo snails love this stuff. Try polyfilters along with your regimen. Also, dont run carbon too much, just to keep the water clear. It will leach phosphates. Are your bulbs aged and need replaced. PCs are good about 7 months. AH i see you have no skimmer. UMMMMmm............ the rest of my comments are pointless unless you go get an efficient skimmer.

fsa
03/05/2006, 10:41 PM
bb, that sounds like the type of algae I had. I fought it (kind of) for a year or longer. It came in on a piece of rock that I bought from my lfs that had some polyps that I wanted on it. I didn't remove it, because I didn't think it would get bad (I didn't have an algae problem). But all of a sudden, that stuff took off and completely took over my tank. I tried pulling it out by the handfuls (sometimes it would come loose easily, but mostly I could not pull it off of the rocks, it stuck on so hard). I finally gave up (acutally my wife was on me to do something with my tank, it looked so bad).

I did a complete redo of my tank last Sunday. Tore it down completely. Added new sand and new "tufa" rock. I put back a couple of the polyps/mushrooms, etc. that I had, so probably got a little of the algae back into the tank, but I sure hope not. I did not have all the real nice looking corals, etc that you have.

If it does come back, I will do everything I can to keep it under control. Sorry, I know this isn't helping or isn't very encouraging. I probably shouldn't even post it, but can't help it. I hated that stuff.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Frank