PDA

View Full Version : Cypraea granulata, reef safe cowrie?

3Tripnip
03/05/2006, 05:21 PM
Hey!

I recently found one of these in my tank, and I'm wondering if it's reef safe? Here's a link to a page showing what it looks like. It's really cool looking, but I don't want it munching on my softies. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

-Ben

http://www.biophoto.com/largepixmain.php?cat=23c&id=2519&PHPSESSID=b16b73bd8d6601ec36a11156c4c0440c

The steven liu
03/05/2006, 09:17 PM
Your link is not working. However I did some research. All I know is they are from Hawaii and I couldn't find anymore info at this moments. Cowries are generally reefsave to a certain size then start to graze over stuff as they grow. It appears cypraea granulata can grow up to 40cm give or take and that is pretty big for a reef tank. If anything a cowrie of that size can knock your stuff off allover.

kmk2307
03/06/2006, 02:13 PM
I think Cowries are a crap shoot. Try doing some feeding experiments by placing it on the sandbed and put a small piece of frozen shrimp, mollusc meat, nori if you have it, etc. near it and see if it goes after it. It may be a general herbivore, or a generalist omnivore, or it may have a specific diet of only one kind of coral or tunicate or who knows...

How long have you had it? What kind of rock did it come in on?

Kevin