PDA

View Full Version : anyone regret getting T5's?

squirmy
03/05/2006, 08:28 PM
Howdy. I am considering getting 8*54 for my 120, but folks keep telling me to get MH for the flexibility, shimmer and the MH "look". I am worried about heat with the MH (it gets hot here in Atlanta)...

So, I am asking if anyone regrets getting T5's instead of MH?

duerr
03/05/2006, 09:08 PM
I don't currently keep any kind of fish/coral that requires a high amount of light, but If I did, I would undoubtly go with MH pendants, and VHO supplementals.

Two computer fans, one being for input, and one for output, will turn your hood into a pretty rad airtunnel, and shouldn't be a problem to keep cool.

dhoch
03/05/2006, 09:14 PM
The basic difference between MH and T5 as I understand it:

1) T5s are linear light sources
2) MH are point light sources

1+2 may affect certain corals, with MH you will have more high and lower light areas, and less with T5 (that will affect the types of creatures you can keep)... for example with my T5 setup my shroom only can survive in shaded/low light areas

3) MH give you shimmer lines (if you like that then do it).

In terms of what looks better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I like how my tank looks (lit by T5), but I've also seen MH tanks that have a great look as well. (see if you can see tanks in your area with both setups and see what you lik).

4) T5s run cooler and cheaper (less watts to produce the same par) and bulbs keep there intensity longer than MH.

Dave

kau_cinta_ku
03/05/2006, 09:14 PM
i am setting up my 75 gal. with T5's and like you i wasn't sure what to go with when it came to lighting at first but all of my research brought me to T5's. even though i like the look of the shimmer that mh's give there was more benifits to T5's than mh's IMO. heat, cost, ect.

BlackOnyx
03/05/2006, 09:19 PM
I picked t5s an I've kept clams and high light corals under them fine. Someone also did a study and was getting acros to grow like weeds under them too. Go for T5s you wont be sorry.

usmcsgt
03/05/2006, 09:27 PM
I 've got a 5 bulb T5 setup from Aquactinics and I'm really satisfied with them, I have it on a 90 gal and I have a clam on the sand and seems to be doing great, I think the only good thing about the MH's is you get that shimmer effect, plus the is relativly no heat added to the tank from the T5's. As BlackOnyx said you wont be sorry.

graveyardworm
03/05/2006, 09:48 PM
I have MH and T-5's on seperate tanks, and I like both. I think each has its own place and its up to the individual preferance. Both have the capability of supporting just about any light loving coral, or clam so its up to you to decide. That probably doesnt help much with your decision.

To answer your question if I had T-5's in place of my MH I wouldnt regret it.

squirmy
03/06/2006, 09:22 AM
thanks for the replies.

It looks like I may go with T5's. Anyone else?:fun5:

Willie_6
03/06/2006, 09:40 AM
Go with T-5's. I do not believe you will be able to offset the heat of MH, with computer fans. It helps, but if you are like me your tank get's up to 84 degrees in the summer (and I live in Ohio). I could not afford to let my water get any hotter. Depending on how hot your tank gets in the summer you may not have a choice.

old salty
03/06/2006, 10:21 AM
Every time I get my electric bill, I am thankful I went with T5s. Other than having no shimmer lines, T5s can make a reef look really nice.

WaterKeeper
03/06/2006, 10:25 AM
All the words I have heard on T-5 has been in their favor. Sure MH is nice but T-5 seems to work just as well, especially in normal depth tanks.

BlackOnyx
03/06/2006, 10:56 AM
Here on the East Coast elec rates keep climbing. MHs are to wasteful in that respect as well.

jumpincactus
03/06/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6892089#post6892089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
All the words I have heard on T-5 has been in their favor. Sure MH is nice but T-5 seems to work just as well, especially in normal depth tanks.

What are you calling a normal depth tank? Do you think 24" deep is too deep for T5's I still have the option of changing my lighting hood as I am waiting for live rock to cure. Tank is 44" x 24" x 24"

How many T5' s should I have installed if I eliminate the MH.

Should I keep the blue atinics I was going to run with the MH???

Keep in mind my goal is keeping softies, LPS and SPS. I have read that stonies are doable with T5's

Yhanx

squirmy
03/06/2006, 02:20 PM
I know you didn't try to hijack my thread....

:eek2:

msudawgs56
03/06/2006, 02:48 PM
OHhhh he did hijack your thread!!!!!!!

by the way should i get a coral beauty first or a pair of clowns?

just kidding...hahahahahaha

im ordering t-5's myself..with me in MS, and not wanting to run a chiller, MH 's are out of the question..i didnt wanna deal with higher electric bills since i already have 6 tanks running (5 fresh , 1 salt)

good luck to ya!!!! I say go with t-5's!!!!

dhoch
03/06/2006, 04:43 PM
jumpincactus...

Your tank is a wierd size, but 24" deep is not an issue for T5 (i've got them on my 180, and it's not a problem.

If you went the 48" there would be overhang and I'm not sure what your situation is witha hood, with the 36" you could stagger them and have the sides be your low light corals (that's what i did).

Dave

WaterKeeper
03/06/2006, 06:59 PM
Normal= 18-24", which is fine for T-5. When you start going to 30" or taller then MH is probably a better solution.

I'm not saying to eliminate anything. Just if you are selecting new lighting then T-5 is a viable solution. On an exsisting tank with MH I'd be hard pressed to recommend changing over. Yes, the T-5 will save some energy bucks but the initial costs would take quite awhile to recoup.

If you do change over I'd replace whatever actinic you have with T-5 actinic. Space under the hood becomes a premium when soley using T-5 and you really need to pack them in. Having T-12's takes up a lot of room.

Anyhow, as far as I know you can even keep clams using T-5. They are bright enough for about anything you may add to your tank.

Now I'll give this thread back to Squirm. :D

bmallia82
03/06/2006, 08:08 PM
This was very helpful in helping me decide what to do as well. I have 95 gallon and I am going to go with the t-5.

ANy suggestions as to what manufacturer to use. I was looking at the NOva Extreme or the Sunlight SUpply over at Reefgeek. What do u guys think

graveyardworm
03/06/2006, 08:17 PM
From what I've read with T5's it's all about the reflectors each bulb should have an individual reflector. There are also ballasts like the ice cap which are capable of overdriving the bulbs for more light output. That being said I just bought the Nova 36" fixture with 4 bulbs, one reflector for all bulbs, 2 - actinics and 2 10000K, built in fan, and moonlights. It is really bright and I love the moonlights.

bllfish
03/06/2006, 09:13 PM
Make sure you get individual reflectors. I have the ice cap reflectors but have read that aqualux now makes reflectors just as good for half the price. You will get way more light with the individual reflectors and should be able to keep anything. I have the tek 5 regular ballasts, if going with more sps I would have picked the ice cap ballast.
I purchased my stuff at reefgeek.com.

squirmy
03/07/2006, 07:40 PM
thanks folks. do you think 6*54 is enough, or should i go for the 8*54? i will be getting the ice cap ballasts and reflectors from reefgeek....

Alaskan Reefer
03/07/2006, 07:45 PM
I have both on the same tank. I like both sides for different reasons -- the shimmer is cool, but the blanket glow and more adjustable color of T5's is cool also. Either is a fine choice.

Alaskan Reefer
03/07/2006, 07:46 PM
Forgot to answer -- I'd do 8X54W. I have that over an 18" deep tank -- overhangs just a little. More flexibility in the light color with more bulbs.

mrmustard
03/07/2006, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have the 'Current Nova T-5' setup? What do you think about 'em?

bllfish
03/07/2006, 08:49 PM
I only have 4 but I have read about members using 6 and supplementing with VHO actinic for a bluer color.

squirmy
03/08/2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Alaska. Why are all those west coast folks trying to hijack my thread? :spin2:

jumpincactus
03/08/2006, 01:55 PM
Not sure what a hijacked thread is..... If I broke protocol I am sorry.......... New to mesaage boards. Please elaborate..............

The_Reef _Man
03/08/2006, 02:11 PM
It means you are changing the subject on someone elses thread taking away from it's original intent. or something like that.lol

WaterKeeper
03/08/2006, 04:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6910003#post6910003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jumpincactus
Not sure what a hijacked thread is..... If I broke protocol I am sorry.......... New to mesaage boards. Please elaborate..............

What do you guys think about UConns chances in the NCAA this year? :D

Tennismurph
03/08/2006, 05:55 PM
Sure the day I get my MH T5 combo hood delivered I read this thread about T5s only! The aquactinics hood I got is enclosed w the fan on each end & it is running very cool w 4*39W t5's. I'll let you know how hot it gets when the 3*250W MH are on tomorrow. Its supposed to not heat up the water. I like it a lot better than the VHOs I was running.

Tennismurph
03/08/2006, 05:59 PM
the fans only run w the MH lamps are on but I guess 4*39W=156 watts of T5s isn't that much power over a 72"length.

phosphatimus
03/08/2006, 06:55 PM
HEY IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET RID OF THE T5S MAYBE I WILL GET THEM FROM YOU squirmy I HAVE PC AND I REALLY WANT TO UPGRADE CAUSE I WANT MORE CORALS AND CLAMS WHICH I HAVE NONE NOW ........