PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on tank setup

kenny77
03/06/2006, 10:21 AM
I Currently have a 15g hex tank. It has a Hang on filter and a regular CF light. Rigth now I have freshwater fish in it but my plans are to make it a seahorse tank. If any one can give me any advice on what Im planning to do. This is my first time with seahorse, I currently have a 2years old reeftank with mixed coral, from SPS to softies, anemones, clams.........

Im gonna put a fish list and inverts and also a equipment list that I will install. If you see something wrong or that I should change something let me know please.

Fish:

Hippocampus reidi(pair)
Clown goby Yellow

Inverts:

Blue leg hermit crabs (10)
Assorted featehr duster- hawaiian& dwarf (4)
Orange Sea Star Echinaster sp.) (1)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (pair)
Astraea Conehead Snail (10)
Tree sponge (1)
Bredcrump Sponge(1)

Corals:
Purple Brush Gorgonian (1)
Orange Tree Gorgonian (1)
Yellow Finger Gorgonian (1)
Rusty Gorgonian (1)
Xenia

Filtration:

10g refugium w/LR , DSB & macro algae
Turboflotor 1000 Skimmer

As many can see will be a crouded tank, but at the same time I have some extra filtering just for that. If Im missing something crucial for keeping seahorse or if you thing I have something that I should eliminate let me know.

As for the sponges I cultivate my phytoplankton on a little station (2- 2lt)

thanks

RyanCD
03/06/2006, 10:46 AM
Just an FYI, if you hop over to seahorse.org and search under the library they have some great information such as a list of compatible tank mates.

Swanwillow
03/06/2006, 11:30 AM
I said this in another thread about 5 seconds ago, but: a 15 gallon isn't good for most seahorses, my last post in this thread just about covers the problems with it, mainly being the size of the tank isn't tall enough for most horses, and you'd need about 20 dwarf horses and a constant supply of bbs for much else.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=787286

kenny77
03/06/2006, 12:26 PM
Swanwillow, that my main consern since I know the meaning of the height of the tank for the seahorses. I don't know if this is true or not but in Seahorse.org I read that if you multipy the height of the seahorse(adult) x 3 that will be the amount of inches minimun of a tank height. Correct me if wrong. the 15g hex is about 20" + I really don't know how hight is it. but I do know it is more than 20". Is this still a probelm. I know the tank isn't that big, but IMO it has a considerable height and what I like most of the Hexagonal tank is that they aren't round but close enought. Wich is what I want to create, a no corner tank.

DanU
03/06/2006, 12:58 PM
The 15 gal can work for some species. Too small for adult reidi though. Despite what common literature states for size, they can reach 10 to 12 inches. I know of several that have attained this size. If you really want to use this tank, I would look for Capensis, Procerus or Fuscus. The small diameter also will limit the live rock. Seahorses need some horizontal space as well as vertical.

Dan

kenny77
03/06/2006, 01:05 PM
thank DanU. I will like to keep a sp. that won't grow larger than 4-5" but I can't keep dwarf. they are to much for me now. the reason I wan't this tank is becasue what I menstion before the almost round shape. I will like to have them swiming around a rock tower located on the middle of the tank and about 4-5" wide. what you will recomend me?

DanU
03/06/2006, 01:13 PM
You could check with Octopets or Ocean Rider for the H. procerus. Seahorse.org member screen name Debbie for H. capensis. Don't know of any current sources for H. fuscus.
If you had a chiller and wanted to go to coldwater, you could also consider H. breviceps.

Dan

Swanwillow
03/06/2006, 03:26 PM
my 35 gallon hex is only 24" high: that would be... 60 ish cm?
I'm not good at my conversion
just get out a ruler and look... or, I suppose I can look it up... *looking up*
it says 15"x20" 20 inches tall... so, its exactly 20 inches... subtract one or two, or whatever you use for substrate: make it an 18" tank, so yeah, it can have a horse in it...

but I STILL think its pushing the tank a bit... I compare the feeding of my three kuda this way: one horses output is equivalent to 3 or 4 damsels output. that means, I really have about 12 damsels in my 30 gallon hex... in terms of output!!! they are NASTY! lots of water changes.

Dan gave ya other options though, so they should be better!

kenny77
03/06/2006, 04:09 PM
OSmebody told me about the output of the seahorses. I have to said that at first I didn't beleive it but I have seen some seahorse tank and !@#$% the poop a lot. That why I choose to go with the turboflotor 1000 to have some extra filtering. I really don't plan on running the skimmer 24/7, I don't want to take the rist of introducing micro bubbles in the tank. Also I will have aDSB but not in the main tank. I rather having it in the fuge since I don't trust DSB on main tank. The tank will only have 3/4" - 1" of sand just for aestetic*(spell) purpose

The specie that Im gonna choose well Im gonna chech on those that Dan recomend me. At the begining of this thread I said that I was gonna introduce a Redii but that an option. I will like to get the best seahorse that can trive the best on a tank like this.

Swanwillow
03/06/2006, 06:10 PM
good :D

now, ya just gott find something in peurto rico, huh?

kenny77
03/07/2006, 11:01 PM
hahahah that is a good one. but actually I have a guy that can send via UPS to PR with no extra charge. also I know a LFS in ORlando that can do it for me with maybe an extra charge but I will defenetly thrust on this.

Swanwillow
03/08/2006, 04:24 AM
good:D