PDA

View Full Version : A question about vho lighting

salt newbie01
03/06/2006, 12:38 PM
I am looking for some folks who have used or are using VHO lighting only. I have a 75 gal with 4 vho's driven by and ARO ballist. My problem is my tank looks a little pink. I am running 2 blue actinics and 2 aquasun daylight bulbs. Has anyone else had this happen? Could I get rid of this pink hue buy changing the aquasuns over to maybe 50/50 bulbs or maybe another brand. Hopefully someone's experience will save me a fortune in trying diff bulbs!!:D

Thanks

blange3
03/06/2006, 01:09 PM
I have a four bulb setup with 2 actinic, 1 aquasun and 1 50/50. The aquasun definitely gives you more pink. I have a lot of pink softies in this tank so I think it looks good.

I'm setting up a 75 for LPS and will be using 2 actinic and 2 50/50.

So although I haven't actually run that combination yet, I am planning to do the same thing you have asked about for the same reason. We can sink or swim together!! :lol:

jda
03/06/2006, 01:15 PM
I run 2 atinic blues and 2 atinic whites.

I know what you mean about "pink" and the bulb combos that I run took care of that.

salt newbie01
03/06/2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds good to me Bill - I can tread water for some time...so hopefully we will swim rather than sink. Softies and LPS are what I am going for also. Good luck!

What brand are the white actinics that you referred to jda ?

thanks again

jda
03/06/2006, 01:53 PM
URI.

Also, I have noticed that the bulbs look better (less pink) on icecap electronics than the ARO magnetic that I have.

mikeatjac
03/06/2006, 02:02 PM
I had the same set up and this is what I did to clear up the problem.

in order form the front of the glass;
One actinic
One aquasun
One 6500K
One aquasun.

Not pink anymore

blange3
03/24/2006, 01:51 PM
Since everyone here has a similar shape tank, I was wondering if you think it would be worth squeezing a 5th bulb in? If so what type of bulb would you add?

Our club is organizing a lighting related group buy soon and I have to finalize my plans for my 75g lps tank.