PDA

View Full Version : 120 gal Fish only Filter system --Ideas?

Fl_seagull
03/06/2006, 02:07 PM
I am starting to set up a Fish only tank for my snowflake eel and other non-reef friendly fish.

basic tank is a 120gal (5' l x 18" d x 26" h) with a 75 gal sump/refug.

Should I setup a wet/dry system?

What about sand bottom. I was planning a deep sand bed in the Refug. But, was looking to have just 1" in the main tank.

Suggestion?

Wryknow
03/06/2006, 04:12 PM
That sounds reasonable to me. I think that I would want a really deep oolitic sand bed (12-18 inches) in a refugium to facilitate nitrate reduction if I was running a wet/dry system.

Fl_seagull
03/06/2006, 04:22 PM
The 75 gal is only 18-20 inches deep. An 18" deep sand bed doesn't give much room for any macro algae.

Perhaps, you could explain a little more how you would "organize" my sump to include your very deep sand bed.

samsfishnchips
03/06/2006, 04:43 PM
lol,

I think he meant, DSB, not Tank full of sand :D

wet/dry is nice for fish only tanks, and plenty of macro algae

I would try a skimmer if you can, plenty of flow, and maybe try a goodie like phosban reactor, uv, ozone, carbon, filter socks, ect.

about the sand on the main tank, something I really hate is when the sand gets all dirty and start to look black/green ect, that really is a bad look, with only 1" you can change replace every so often with lovely fresh sand, and keep the beauty of the nice white sand look.

so many choices, makes want to start a new tank :D

sam

JimR
03/06/2006, 05:33 PM
Go with a RDSB ( remote DSB ):
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=595109

Fl_seagull
03/06/2006, 06:12 PM
WOW! That is an idea I had seen but didn't understand.

Are people using this instead of macro algae? With a refug?

Wryknow and JimR:

Where you suggesting taking a section of my 75 gal and making it a RDSB? or Are you suggesting just incorporating a bucket?

anthworks
03/06/2006, 06:15 PM
Is Nitrate in a fish only system that important?

Fl_seagull
03/06/2006, 06:23 PM
Nitrate is still bad but fish can tolorate a higher level than corals.

My concern is predators are very dirty animals and Nitrate levels would normally require fequent water changes to control if I was only using a wet/dry system.

The idea for this post was to get fresh thinking on how to handle the problems of a tank with no or little live rock.