PDA

View Full Version : Green is bad?

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:23 PM
Hey everyone- I posted here 2 of the ugliest pics of my tank I could create. Basically, what I am trying to represent is that there is a lot of green "algae" building up in my tank. The main light by the way is a UV 1100 and I am not a hardware geek so please be patient with me if you ask me questions about my refugium. Anyway, I think the filter system is made for a 110 gallon tank and my tank is just 55 gallons. There is an alarming amount of green algae buildup. Some of the rocks look white - that's because I just moved the rocks around about 2 days ago. My animal list is up to date and I don't have my specs for the nitrate and everything. However, I've had the LFS test my water twice and both times that said everything is really good - even ph. I haven't started testing on my own. Please let me know if all of this green buildup is bad. Thanks.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/bigblenny/green2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/bigblenny/green2.jpg

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry. Here is the other pic:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/bigblenny/green1.jpg

davidcalgary29
03/06/2006, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't worry just yet -- it's likely a form of coralline algae, which is something that you want on your rocks. It should "purple up" with time. :)

Hop
03/06/2006, 05:36 PM
When I set my first tank up under PC lighting, I had green coraline algea, then it turned red and pink.

Can you rub this stuff off with your finger? Yes-not so good... No-probably good.

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:37 PM
thanks for both of your responses david calgary [incl. the one(s) on the other thread]. the guy at LFS today said pink and purple are good colors you want to have (the purple rock in there I bought today. they cure their own rocks there- at LFS).

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:39 PM
Hop - no it stays on if you run the green algae with your finger. 2-3 of my snails have been sitting on the main greenest one today and they don't leave trails. Seems like it stays green even when they move around on it.

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:43 PM
Okay. I will take it like it is a good thing as both of you agreed. Thanks for your responses. I guess it's safe to say that some of my old "dead" rock is coming alive!

davidcalgary29
03/06/2006, 05:44 PM
Hey, no prob! Not too many reefers have their tanks under natural lighting due to fears of excess algal growth, but I haven't (as previously posted) really noted this to be much of a problem. Sunlight penetration is excellent in comparison with artificial systems, and many types of coral and fish do seem to respond positively to this type of high-intensity, wide spectrum lighting. I certainly don't see many downsides to natural sunlight in northern climes like our own, as sunlight is less powerful and tank heating (esp. when sun reaches only 1/2 of the tank) is less of an issue.

If you truly are worried about that green algae, do consider a diadema urchin for your tank. They can be disruptive as they grow, but they can't be beat for algae consumption. They'll suck your rocks white in no time. :)

BTW, there's an excellent thread on natural sunlight on one of these forums -- it covers all the basics, and shows that it can work in a reef system. I can't find a link, though. :(

rochestertank
03/06/2006, 05:51 PM
interesting - a diadema urchin. I will think about that and look into it soon. As for the natural lighting, usually I keep all of my shades down but I tried opening them today and my main polyp stood up real tall and was waving his tentacles in the direction of the brightest light plus the fish were behaving uncharacteristically and even the meanest damsels I have seemed to be happy-go-lucky. It wasn't real bright out or anything but I think I get the point. I'll probably mix in natural light when I have a chance..