PDA

View Full Version : i heard mermaid is moving to san jose

yamaha racer
03/06/2006, 07:48 PM
today my mom went to mermaid to exchage my t-5s and she said that they are moving to san jose and its really close to my moms bar. so after your done getting fish stuff u can go have a good time at my moms bar...LOL...them moving is good for me because i live like 2 hours from them, and now there going to be like 40mins.

she said there going to move the first of the year!!

ya!!

dannieboiz
03/06/2006, 08:53 PM
umm first of the year? You kidding right? That's a 9 months from now. LOLZ Why do you have to spread news like this and make everyone anxious. :fun5:

Worste of all, you didn't even mention where about.... argghh:mixed:

Ti
03/06/2006, 10:18 PM
cool

darcitananda
03/06/2006, 10:31 PM
Yes, they are moving next year. Max showed me the plans and it's frickin' incredible. I think it's going to be RIGHT downtown. It's going to be a destination in itself. They'll practically have to charge admission to get in it will be so cool, ha.
BTW, I wasat Mermaid today and Max is selling aquacultured clams from the "farm" in Tonga. THey are soooo cute. I bought a tiny little Maxima, and it is adorable. :)

dannieboiz
03/06/2006, 10:37 PM
u didn't pay $30 bucks for those tiny Maxima did u? :rolleyes:

and I hope you're kidding about the admission part. LOL I think I'll just head out to Montery Bay Aquarium. :eek1:

darcitananda
03/06/2006, 11:24 PM
I'm totally kidding about the admission part, but it is true that it will be a destination, with some enormous display tanks.

Also, I am happy to pay extra for aquacultured animals. I would pay even more if it takes some strain off the environment. In fact, I consider it my duty to buy aquacultured or tank raised when possible. What is $30? YOu can't even get a weeks worth of lattes for that. Of course, I don't drink lattes, but, you get my point. I, for one, am thrilled to be able to buy aquacultured critters at my LFS. I know where they're coming from, who was caring for them, how old they are, etc....

Elite
03/06/2006, 11:30 PM
Just take good care of the little guy.. I was going to get one but everyone tell me not to because they are very hard to keep...
Here is my thread..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=777770

dannieboiz
03/06/2006, 11:32 PM
whoa, good thing I didn't buy them. It was an inch away from the bag when I put them back.

darcitananda
03/06/2006, 11:43 PM
I have a relatively small tank and it's fed fairly heavily, plus I'm dosing phyto. I'll let ya'll know how it does. I have to say it's an amazing little guy though. Incredibly responsive and beautifully colored. One thing that works well for feeding things that need a lot of nutrients is to turn off the return pump and just let powerheads recirculate stuff for an hour or so. I may also set up a drip in the sump so there is an all day supply of phyto running. Ah, the things we do for our critters.

Elite
03/06/2006, 11:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6898262#post6898262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dannieboiz
whoa, good thing I didn't buy them. It was an inch away from the bag when I put them back.
Let me guess.. Sun Aquarium??
I was going to get one too... They are so pretty/cute..

dannieboiz
03/06/2006, 11:46 PM
lol yah... lets not say the price either to avoid any hard feelings

:lol: jk darcitananda chances are they got them from the same place cause I saw them both having them the same week and all gone the following. Never seen them prior from either places.

Patio
03/07/2006, 09:59 PM
I got one from sun aquarium a year ago. It is doing great. It started at 1 inch and is now three. Paid $8, Quang is the man.

dannieboiz
03/08/2006, 12:14 AM
yah but he's jacking up the price like a mofo.... a lot of his prices are becoming like any other. I used to go there and buy things and not have to think twice since I know I'm getting the best prices in town. But now I have to think a few extra times before buying anything there. I've seem his price double in many things.

Patio
03/08/2006, 01:24 AM
I agree in some cases. I started reefing when he opened his shop, we kind of learned together. It's the one shop where I bag my own corals, and sometimes he asks to help unload his shipments.

Back to the thread. I think I heard from a bird the new shop might have a shark display? Does that sound familiar?

darcitananda
03/08/2006, 01:29 AM
Yes, there will be a shark display. Don't quote me on this, but I think he said 25,000 gallons?

Patio
03/08/2006, 01:33 AM
Is that going to be crazy amazing or what

Elite
03/08/2006, 01:35 AM
25,000G :eek1: ... My boys would love that.. So the new store will be in downtown SJ??

king7
03/08/2006, 01:41 AM
yea, its where the old theater was... i can't remember the name of the theater right now....

dannieboiz
03/08/2006, 01:45 AM
downtown theatre? Sounds like 2nd street.

jedininja
03/08/2006, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6906670#post6906670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dannieboiz
yah but he's jacking up the price like a mofo.... a lot of his prices are becoming like any other. I used to go there and buy things and not have to think twice since I know I'm getting the best prices in town. But now I have to think a few extra times before buying anything there. I've seem his price double in many things.

I think in the begining he must have been charging way under, making no profit on many things in order to get people to know his store. Now he needs to actually start making a profit to be able to pay for the location as well as take home some money.

jedininja
03/08/2006, 12:20 PM
I hope there is parking at the new mermaid location. I dont want to have to pay for parking to visit a LFS.

dannieboiz
03/08/2006, 12:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6909353#post6909353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jedininja
I think in the begining he must have been charging way under, making no profit on many things in order to get people to know his store. Now he needs to actually start making a profit to be able to pay for the location as well as take home some money.

Actually, IMO he was not profiting a lot on a single item but moved them in volume hence = same profit. I used to refer everyone I know to go there. You'd rather be known as the store with decent prices and have customer come in and out rather than being a place with high prices and not have anything.. Especially with the quality of their stocks. You gotta differentiate yourself from the rest to compete. The quality of his stocks and display is not on par with say Mermaids or Aquatic Gallery, to attract customer his prices gotta be good. The other two places can brag about their captive bred etc... but Sun have nothing to brag about anymore.

Perfect example would be the Clams Darci got from Mermaid, she paid more there feeling confident that they're captive bred. Sun might have gotten them from the same place and sold them for a little less but Darci bought from Mermaids just to feel safe.

You pay more for quality fishes that have higher chance of surviving and pay less for wild caught to lower your chances of losing out.

jedininja
03/08/2006, 02:17 PM
Yes, its true he doesnt have the nicest stuff so he has to sell cheaper. But with the amount of tanks he has, he wouldnt even be able to move enough stuff to make a profit unless he brough in new things everyday.

dannieboiz
03/08/2006, 02:21 PM
I supposed there are 2 ways to look @ it, but he moves 80% of his inventory on the first day or two it comes in b4, now I'm seeing things sit there for weeks and weeks with no buyer. I've never seen him with a fully stock tank.

jedininja
03/08/2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, if he's not moving the inventory at all, then the prices are too high. Before he would move things right away, but then the store would sit empty for 3 days before his next trip/shipment. There should be a good middle ground where he makes enough profit and still moves the products. But if things arent moving at all, then that different.

Patio
03/08/2006, 04:00 PM
He invites me and some other costumers to see shipments before the store is even open. I know one of the guys who is invited usually buys half of each shipment. So a lot of the stuff he buys from whole salers never is even seen by most customers. I think of his shop like a coral hunting experience, a lot of the stock is lower quality lower price, but that rare occasion you get a great piece at an unbelievable price.

piberoptikz
04/07/2006, 04:01 PM
:D Max said instead of paying a rent of $8,500 on his shop, why not buy and get his own place? I think the new place will be awesome!

- yep, most of the time his store sits with empty tanks.

GreshamH
04/07/2006, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6911022#post6911022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patio
He invites me and some other costumers to see shipments before the store is even open. I know one of the guys who is invited usually buys half of each shipment. So a lot of the stuff he buys from whole salers never is even seen by most customers. I think of his shop like a coral hunting experience, a lot of the stock is lower quality lower price, but that rare occasion you get a great piece at an unbelievable price.

Could you please move this SUN aquarium discussion to another thread and keep this one on track. If readers don't start at the beginning, they'd think Max is letting you in before the store opens, like I did.

piberoptikz
04/08/2006, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7133322#post7133322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
Could you please move this SUN aquarium discussion to another thread and keep this one on track. If readers don't start at the beginning, they'd think Max is letting you in before the store opens, like I did.

:cool: True!

fishme
04/09/2006, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6906974#post6906974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by king7
yea, its where the old theater was... i can't remember the name of the theater right now....

I believed it's called "Jose" Theater on 2nd. Parking will be tough those.

Reefugee
04/10/2006, 09:06 AM
Anybody knows when Mermaid will be moving?

GreshamH
04/10/2006, 09:32 AM
Start of next ear IIRC.

GreshamH
04/11/2006, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7147001#post7147001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishme
I believed it's called "Jose" Theater on 2nd. Parking will be tough those.

That's not the location, sorry :D

He's moving to 25th and Santa Clara not the one on 2nd. it should have a decent amount of parking.

Elite
04/11/2006, 10:56 AM
That should be closer to 101 too :) ...

johnnyM
04/17/2006, 11:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6909434#post6909434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dannieboiz
Actually, IMO he was not profiting a lot on a single item but moved them in volume hence = same profit. I used to refer everyone I know to go there. You'd rather be known as the store with decent prices and have customer come in and out rather than being a place with high prices and not have anything.. Especially with the quality of their stocks. You gotta differentiate yourself from the rest to compete. The quality of his stocks and display is not on par with say Mermaids or Aquatic Gallery, to attract customer his prices gotta be good. The other two places can brag about their captive bred etc... but Sun have nothing to brag about anymore.

Perfect example would be the Clams Darci got from Mermaid, she paid more there feeling confident that they're captive bred. Sun might have gotten them from the same place and sold them for a little less but Darci bought from Mermaids just to feel safe.

You pay more for quality fishes that have higher chance of surviving and pay less for wild caught to lower your chances of losing out.

I can not believe you're saying this. Don't listen to this guy. He's just a spoiled little brat who didn't get what he wanted so he decided to bad mouth someone. I've been a loyal customer to Sun Aquarium for many years, and it still have the lowest prices around the bay area. You need to know all facts before you bad mouth anyone. I've seen a lot of new faces (customers) going in out of the store, buying a lot of stuff because they know Sun is the cheapest.

I think everyone knows what kind of a person you really are. And if anyone doesn't know what kind of person this guy is, PM me. I am so ashamed of you.

Sorry for the off topic. I just can't believe how such a person can be so hypocrite..

GreshamH
04/18/2006, 09:08 AM
Can you please take the Sun Aquarium stuff to a new thread? Thank You.

hawaiianwargod
04/18/2006, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7155934#post7155934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
That's not the location, sorry :D

He's moving to 25th and Santa Clara not the one on 2nd. it should have a decent amount of parking.

Is it close to Albertson area? or by SJSU?

dannieboiz
04/18/2006, 05:42 PM
Johnny boy please check your PM.