PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Sacrifice?

brians_224
03/06/2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your time.

Sometime late saturday night, one of my rbta's(7 total) decided to move four inches lower in my tank and park itself ontop/next to my maxima clam. I've spent the last two days with a powerhead aimed at it to encourage it to move again - no luck. Last night I added some additional rock to try to block the two - no luck.

I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the RBTA. How would you recommend removing it with the least amount of impact on my tank?

arc41120
03/06/2006, 10:15 PM
I too have a bulb tip anemone attached to a clam (squamosa). It's been there for a month or so and I haven't had any problems with it nor has the clam. Does your clam seem to be bothered by the anemone?

vthondaboi
03/06/2006, 10:55 PM
why can't you just peel it off and move it?

brians_224
03/07/2006, 09:41 AM
Yes - the clam is very bothered. The clam is small at about 3", the rbta is larger at about 4". The other day, the foot of the rbta had glommed onto the first 1/8 of the clams shell. The mantle of the clam hasn't been fully extended ever since the rbta moved next to it. I've tried my best to encourage the RBTA to move along but no luck.

I can't remove the anemone easily as it has its foot deep in a hole in my LR. I've tried several times early to remove a couple of my RBTAS in an effort to thin the herd - but they are VERY stubborn.

I don't want to lose the clam.

travisurfer
03/07/2006, 07:29 PM
ive heard of people using ice cubes too. forgive my ignorance, but cant you move the clam or the rock that the anemone is on?

brians_224
03/07/2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your posts - no need to apologize. ;)

I tried ice. Removing the rock really isnt an option, its near the bottom of the "pile". Clams have a string like device that holds them in place - breaking this string like appendage hurts, possibly kills, the clam.

I've placed the top of a plastic soda bottle over the rbta. To shield the clam and to hopefully annoy the rbta in to moving.