PDA

View Full Version : Onyx Clowns...

RudeBoy
03/06/2006, 10:29 PM
I've seen many postings about the Black Clownfish and/or Onyx Clowns and I'm a little curious about the differences I've seen. There's a guy that sells these (rod's reef) and the fish are both orange and black. The pair I bought from my LFS are completely black (and young) except for their faces. What's the difference between the so called Black Clowns and the Onyx Clowns that are being sold? I've heard the arguement that Onyx Clowns get darker as they get older... but from pictures Rod's appear to be pretty big and only about 30-40% black. I'm a little confused about these clowns... any insight?

vthondaboi
03/06/2006, 10:54 PM
completely black and white clowns are usually saddle backs or a type of false percula

the ones that most people to refer to are true perculas and have a black band connecting all three stripes

FishnWishn
03/06/2006, 10:58 PM
The main difference is that the Onyx is a true A. Percula. The all black clownfish you are describing sounds like an black variant A. Ocellaris or Black variant A .Polymnus, all completely different clownfish.

The onyx has a lot blacker markings than a normal true perc. How much black should an Onyx have depends on who's definition you use.

RudeBoy
03/07/2006, 07:45 AM
FishnWishn,
You're exactly right. I didn't look at the thread that contained pictures of all of the various Clownfishes before I posted my thread. The Onyx is a beautiful fish, no doubt about it... thanks to both of you for the responses.