PDA

View Full Version : 30 gallon hex reef tank

lostcause
03/07/2006, 12:49 AM
I have an extra 30 hex and I was thinking of turning it into a reef tank w/ maybe an anenome(bubble tip most likely) and a pair of clowns, some polyps, the usual mix of invertebrates, and maybe a couple gobies (neon, clown, or other similar goby) and 20 lb. live sand, and about 30 lb. of live rock. I'm planning on getting a 130 watt light system and getting a small powerhead.

Could this be a stable system? And, does it need a protein skimmer?

Blown 346
03/07/2006, 12:54 AM
Yes it could be a stabile system, a skimmer is a definite with a Anemone, the tank has to be atleast 6 months old, to properly car for one. By then your tank will be stabile and you wont be having algae blooms.
The lighting I would sugest something more intense, Anemones live mostly of of the light provided for the exception of there feedings. I would look into either a halide or a lighting fixture that will give yoy the proper intensity to keep an Anemone.

Waterflow is also very important, they like medium to strong waterflow, they do have a tenancyto move about the tank so other corals could get stung and not do to well.

lostcause
03/07/2006, 01:05 AM
So a skimmer is something I definitely need.
The anenome will be placed near the top of the live rock formation, does this make a difference in the required lighting? Or will the anenome move out of the spot it is placed so that the light intensity at the bottom of the tank needs to be intense also?
And doesn't the 130 watts for a 30 gallon satisfy the 4 watts per gallon that is reccomended for anenomes?

SVXH6
03/07/2006, 01:16 AM
the wpg is not a good rule to follow.. its light intensity,and the the depth of the tank that has to be taken into account for the lighting you choose..compare the same wattage of T5HO, or VHO to pcs and you will notice a very big difference..IMO pcs are not good.. i have them and am very dissatisfied with them.. have to change the bulbs too oten and not that bright.. you are better off going with T5HO if you do not want MH or even VHO.. any of those three types the bulbs will be brighter and last longer as well as showing off colors better..

Blown 346
03/07/2006, 01:38 AM
It doesnt matter where you put the Anemone, it will move where it likes the waterflow and light.
The lighting you have wont be enough even if the anemone stays at the top.
How deep is the tank in inches?
I beliebe they are about 30 inches deep, you will need a very strong light to reach the bottom of the tank. I would aslo wait to get one until your tank has started to mature.
Anemone's are really sensitive to all and any changes in temp, salinity, the tanks stability, lighting, water flow.

Blown 346
03/07/2006, 01:38 AM
It doesnt matter where you put the Anemone, it will move where it likes the waterflow and light.
The lighting you have wont be enough even if the anemone stays at the top.
How deep is the tank in inches?
I beliebe they are about 30 inches deep, you will need a very strong light to reach the bottom of the tank. I would aslo wait to get one until your tank has started to mature.
Anemone's are really sensitive to all and any changes in temp, salinity, the tanks stability, lighting, water flow.

Halide would do the job perfectly, and that is what should be used to house a Anemone.