PDA

View Full Version : I need help with ich

Mmarino55
03/07/2006, 02:30 PM
What should i do? Either Rid-Ich the fish OR Raise Temp or ne other ways?

Steven Pro
03/07/2006, 06:14 PM
Rid-Ich is a freshwater medication that contains formalin and malachite green. Raising the temperature doesn't do anything but speed up the reproduction of the parasite. The only proven treatments are copper, hyposalinity, and tank transfer.

By the way, your tank has way too many fish in it. I would get rid of both tangs.

Blown 346
03/09/2006, 02:54 AM
The one product I used in my reef with great success is a product called GreenX.
It is invert,coral, liverock,sand, fish safe. I have used it twice withinthe last 3 years of my tank being setup and everything is fine and helthy.

kau_cinta_ku
03/09/2006, 05:27 AM
i have used kick ich along with feeding garlic soaked foods and that worked great however i don't think much will help you as you are way overstocked on the tank and being tangs get ich very easy the only way to really help the tank is to rid the tangs (releave the stress which causes ich) and keep the other fish and treat them.

whalloper
03/09/2006, 09:25 AM
The ONLY formula which has ever worked for me has been KICK-ICH, a cleaner shrimp, and great water quality. The reason the tangs have ich is 99.9% usually water quality/stress related. Some live rock in your tank would not be a bad idea as tangs love to graze on it all day long.

Here's my suggestion, as I have been in your situation many times as I was learning, take it or leave it...

1. Treat your tank with KICK-ICH
2. Get a cleaner shrimp, ASAP - hopefully your lfs has one
3. Start adding a little live rock at a time, a few pounds per week
4. If you dont already, do your water changes with RO water
5. Get a protein skimmer

This all sounds pricy...probably about 260, including a decent skimmer (Coralife Super Skimmer, Red Sea Prizm Pro) and RO unit. However, if you have to keep replacing a yellow and hippo tang, you will hit that $260 mark very quickly with nothing to show for it!!

Pandora
03/09/2006, 09:27 AM
Do you have corals or inverts in this tank?

Corn
03/09/2006, 11:56 PM
also you can try melsfix and or coral vital but do not use all at the same time one at a time

dots
03/10/2006, 01:16 AM
It has been found that ich really rears its ugly head when water parameters are unstable and/or the fish is stressed causing it to get ich much like people when they get a cold.

That is probably the main reason why most newer fish get ich when they are first put into a new tank.

I tried the "reef safe" products but didn't seem to work well.....finaly just concentrated on water quality and it went away and has never came back. I have heard this theory more than once and think it has some merit.

bandedangel
03/19/2006, 09:07 AM
I have had great results with "No Sick Fish" check the sponsers.

PatMayo
03/19/2006, 09:12 AM
I guess the question to ask is are any still alive. With that tank load and the fact that it is weeks later may all be a moot point. Steven Pro hit the nail on the head.

Regards,

Pat

bandedangel
03/19/2006, 09:17 AM
I agree, tangs are a fish magnet! There always the start of an outbreak IME