PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a rock rack..

Opiy
03/07/2006, 02:32 PM
I am building a rock rack for my tank and I thought I would actually run water in the plumbing to move water under the rocks. Well what im trying to decide atm is should I drill holes along the inside of the pipes to make a spray bar or maybe use some loc line or something. Ive seen someone use loc line before and thought it was a cool idea but it seems like it would take up to much space and trying to move them after the rock was up seemed like a bad idea. The holes seemed like it would work but can anyone think of a better idea or would the holes work out ok?

I plan to run a mag 3 to push the water. Not looking for very high flow just hoping to help keep the crud moving around and maybe out.

I am using some 1/2" sch 80 piping and fittings for the dark color.

8BALL_99
03/08/2006, 12:26 AM
with such a small pump/pipe I don't think your going to move enough water to really matter.. I'm sure you will have elbows and 45s in it that will kill it even more.. Maybe just consider a spray bar on the back wall spraying at the base of the LR.. With just a few 1/2 outlets.. That should have decent flow and still have enough preasure to keep things from settling in and behind the rocks to much.. I'm guessing thats what your shooting for? HTH

Will

Opiy
03/08/2006, 02:27 PM
yep thats what I was wanting. I wanted to get the rocks off the sand to help keep the crud from building up under and around them. Plus giving a place for the small fish and critters to hide. There are going to be I think 8 90s in it plus 4 T's. I wasn't sure how strong of a pump I would need to be effective or even if the idea would work like I hoped.

I might just make the rack and use a power head to blast stuff out when im doing a water change.

Thanks for the response

8BALL_99
03/08/2006, 02:49 PM
Its a good idea.. I've even seen setups like it before.. But most of them use larger pipe.. Say 1" so the elbows and Ts don't hurt so much.. Maybe with the smaller pipe Just have a sinlge long peice with holes drilled in it and the ends caped off.. Place that under your rockwork.. Then just build whatever structure you want to support your rock work.

Opiy
03/08/2006, 06:48 PM
Hmmm

when I started this idea I was thinking smaller pipe, easier to hide. I might just try to do the 1" pipe now instead and give what I have made so far to a friend lol.

I'll keep messing with the idea until I work something out.