PDA

View Full Version : Something ate my cleaner

IslandCrow
03/07/2006, 03:06 PM
Much to my chagrin, I came home last night to find my 6-line wrasse picking at what I hoped was just the molted shell from my skunk cleaner shrimp, but it turned out to be the shrimp itself. . .minus the head. I'm guessing the wrasse didn't kill the shrimp since they're generally pretty timid creatures and the shrimp's nearly as big as he is. Of course, he is the only new fish to the tank in the last 4 months or so. I also have a yellow tang who's been known to nip at the shrimp if they start to bug him and a teenager maroon clown (not really a juvenile, but not fully grown). The only other possible suspects I can think of are my two emerald crabs, one of which is starting to get rather large. I've never seen any of the above (except perhaps the tang) threaten the shrimp.

So, what does everyone think. Is it most likely that the shrimp died of natural causes and subsequently became a midday snack to the other inhabitants, or should I start interrogating the tang, clown and crab? By the way, I've had the cleaner and tang for about 4 months, the emeralds for about 5 and the clown for around 6.

artful-dodger
03/07/2006, 06:35 PM
Well, your tank probably has the bright lights and rubber hose necessary for an intense questioning.

I doubt that you'll ever know for sure. The crabs probably aren't fast enough. My suspicion would lie with the maroon, but spontaneous combustion can't be ruled out either.

IslandCrow
03/08/2006, 09:44 AM
I didn't think about spontaneous combustion. It was probably just his time to go. May Jacque rest in peace.

3D-Reef
03/08/2006, 06:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6902341#post6902341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Much to my chagrin, I came home last night to find my 6-line wrasse picking at what I hoped was just the molted shell from my skunk cleaner shrimp, but it turned out to be the shrimp itself. . .minus the head. I'm guessing the wrasse didn't kill the shrimp since they're generally pretty timid creatures and the shrimp's nearly as big as he is.
IslandCrow,
It's the six line.This last weekend I tore all the rock and half of the water out of My 125 just to get two fish out. One yellow tang,and the six line.Last week I sat in My lazyboy and watched that little stinker pluck out the eyeballs of three shrimp.Of course there wasn't anything I could do except watch the money go down the drain.So to speak.
Clay

IslandCrow
03/09/2006, 08:04 AM
Wow, and he looks so cute and innocent. he certainly had me fooled. Unfortunately, I've already grown quite fond of the little guy, and other than the homocidal tendencies, he's actually much less of a pest than the shrimp. I'll have to keep an eye on him and possibly bring Jacque Jr. back to the LFS. It's too bad, too, they're pretty colorful shrimp.

3D-Reef
03/09/2006, 06:52 PM
Yah, I really liked him...zooming around all over the place,checking out everything.But after he has eaten about $40 worth of shrimp...it's time to go:furious:
Clay

Snooker00
03/09/2006, 09:47 PM
So all you guys are saying that the sixline's ate your shrimp? How big are the ones doing this? I'm just curious because I was thinking about getting one and haven't read anything about them messing with shrimp. I would just like to know because I have 2 Skunks, 2 peppermints and 1 blood, that I really don't want getting eaten.
Thanks,
Steve

IslandCrow
03/10/2006, 11:28 AM
Mine's only about an inch and a quarter long. I'm still having a hard time believing he actually killed my shrimp, since the shrimp really was just as big as the six-line. I have one survivor, so we'll see how he fairs. If he's attacked, I think that's pretty good evidence that it's the six-line.

3D-Reef
03/10/2006, 06:39 PM
Mine was about 1.5" long.But that didn't stop him from sneaking up on them and chowing down on their eyeballs.Then he just takes his time munching brains.He didn't eat anything else,just left the rest.
Clay