PDA

View Full Version : skimmer on the fritz

fish are life
03/07/2006, 07:10 PM
i just turned off the bubbles on my skimmer (sea clone) becuase when they are on they pass right through the skimmer back into my tank water and make the water visibility horrible. Also i left my tank for 20 minutes and when i came back the skimmer was overflowing and i have been having to clean is every 10 minutes too keep it from doing this again. whats going wrong?

wetWolger
03/07/2006, 07:15 PM
well....first those bubbles are what make the skimmer work, it is worthless without them. Second what you have done is by restricting the air flow it allows the pump to push a LOT more water. And this moves the water closer to the cup, thus you get a wetter skimate.

fish are life
03/07/2006, 07:17 PM
but it overflowed when the bubbles ran through it, and the foam all came out. When i have the bubbles on i can hardly see into the tank. It didnt do this before a couple days ago.

davidhughes85
03/07/2006, 07:52 PM
Yea my Jebo protein skimmer has been on for three days and it puts a cloud of bubbles in my tank! Will this go away???

tigerarmy40
03/07/2006, 08:14 PM
this will happen from time to time! it may be what you are feeding or addatives that you are using that is setting the skimmer off! I know from experience that both of those skimmers are very touchy and require alot of adjusting....

fish are life
03/07/2006, 08:15 PM
well it all started after i put aqua plus in

davidhughes85
03/07/2006, 10:37 PM
ive only used teh declorinator to make teh water about a week and a half ago

davidryder
03/08/2006, 12:44 AM
i'm sorry but get rid of your sea clown! i started with one because it was cheap and really regretted it. i think you get what you pay for... the thing dumped air in my tank and eventually stopped skimming. some are good indefinitely but so many people have problems with them