PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best thing to feed an anthia?

mrmustard
03/07/2006, 08:21 PM
I have had a bartlett for a bout a week now and he wont touch a thing. Mysis, mysid, brine, krill, nothin'. He looks to be doin just fine. But he's not eatin". Do they feed off phytoplankton? I read that in an earlier thread. Is that enough? Lemme know thanks!

Avi
03/07/2006, 08:27 PM
If you didn't before you bought this fish, in the future, always ask them to put some food in the tank in the fish store so you can see if the fish is taking food...But, in the meanwhile, as to this fish....get some live brine shrimp and try to coax it into eating with that. If you can't get any live brine shrimp, then get some freeze-dried or frozen brine. You can also try some frozen Cyclopeeze. Those foods are, IMO, the most tempting to a reluctant fish, like an Anthias.

mrmustard
03/07/2006, 08:37 PM
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks

Avi
03/07/2006, 08:54 PM
let us know how the fish does.

mrmustard
03/07/2006, 08:58 PM
Will do.

mrmustard
03/08/2006, 11:25 PM
Welp, no luck with the live brine shrimp. He's still lookin good though cruisin around with all the other green chromis. I hope he gets hungry before he tires himself out. ugh

ChunksInClemson
03/08/2006, 11:32 PM
Try putting some garlic in the tank, this should make him hawngry!
Not sure about the rate, need to find someone else who knows that.

Blown 346
03/09/2006, 12:48 AM
Anthias's are difficult to start to get eating, it can take a week or more. Mine wouldnt eat for about a little over a week. But once he did start to eat he would only eat Mysis.

mrmustard
03/09/2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks Blown. I hope the same thing happens. And Chunks, I tried some Formula 2 with 2% garlic added, nuttin'. Still wouldn't eat. He does swim around, looking interested when the other fish are eating, but nuttin'. I just fed some live brine and he was just swimming around, looking like he was gulping at something. But he never got any of the brine. Maybe he's blind!?

Blown 346
03/09/2006, 09:16 PM
He will eventually eat, mine looked at the food for about a week before he started to eat. Once he is starving he will eat.

mrmustard
03/10/2006, 02:22 PM
Well, going on day 8, I guess he's not starving yet. I tried the mysis today and he just kinda look at it and swam around. Maybe tomorrow.......

Travis L. Stevens
03/10/2006, 03:01 PM
mrmustard, try to find an unseasoned roe. Something like masago (Smelt Roe) or Flying Fish Roe. Check your local Asian markets or a sushi/Asian restaurant and talk to the owner. A teaspoon of this stuff goes a long way. You might be able to buy it off of the owner, if he isn't nice enough to just give you a smidge. Anthias will often begin to eat prepared foods when you start them off on fish roe. Under the circumstances that he hasn't eaten in 8 days, even substituting "seasoned" roe might be of your best interest. It needs food asap. Just make sure to look at the ingredients label to make sure it's not over seasoned. Something like "packed in salt" or if it has garlic in it will be fine. Be careful feeding too much of something with Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). I'll cross my fingers for your little Anthias.

mrmustard
03/10/2006, 03:40 PM
Nice Travis, sounds like a good recommendation. I'll go to the sush restaurant and see if I can get some..

mrmustard
03/13/2006, 03:38 PM
Oakie doke. It is going on 11 or 12 days. I haven't seen him eat yet. I haven't got a hold of any roe yet either. He seems to be doing fine swimming around and mingling with the other fish. Can my anthia be feeding off something else that I can't see?

NeilPearson
03/13/2006, 03:56 PM
My anthias all love Cyclopeeze... perfect size for them

mrmustard
03/14/2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I just tried the roe and no luck. The anthia is pushin almost 2 weeks without eating, or without me seeing him eat. How long do you think he can go for? I should start a poll , 'How long can an anthia go without eating?' 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 weeks?